-
Senior Member
registered user
problem solved!
Thanks for the tip - problem solved! My router is indeed a belkin router (the standard 4 port model) and when I stuck a different router in between, knoppix was able to complete DHCP setup on all computers. Since the actual physical network card worked in a different computer, I can't imagine how the computer itself would impact DHCP negotiation, but such is the case.
Belkin router owners BEWARE!
I find it disturbing that a windows security update can also break linux networking, as you discovered. I didn't notice a solution from scanning the many posts from that thread, so what is the solution, is it to reset the NIC EEPROM to factory settings? Also I'm very curious why M$ found it necessary to step beyond the OS and change settings in the NIC. I gather that prevents a hacker from spoofing a certificate? I wonder what the technical details (what kind of hacking technique) are of how that is necessary to maximize security in windows XP, and is that something that needs to be addressed to maximize security in Linux also?
Similar Threads
-
By knew_guy in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-20-2006, 12:26 AM
-
By Aspra in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-31-2006, 06:36 PM
-
By ichi in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2005, 08:53 PM
-
By stimz in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-22-2004, 09:04 PM
-
By t h 3 dunadan in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 04-28-2003, 01:29 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$344.74

Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper QFX5120-32C-AFI 32x100GbE Switch Dual AC Airflow In, Rail Kit Included
$8150.00

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper EX2300-C-12P 12 Port Gigabit PoE+ 2x10G SFP+ Managed Compact Switch
$179.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.
$95.62