Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: how to change screen/monitor setiings

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    how to change screen/monitor setiings

    Hi all,


    yet another question: the monitor and screen settings in the KDE control centre refuse to pay attention to my attempts to change them. The monitor settings are almost OK, I'd just like to adjust the sync rates, but the screen is set to 640x480, 8 bit, which obviously is slightly below what would be possible...

    The weird thing is, that the resolution does not seem to be 640x480, but still I think it should be properly displayed in the settings menu.

    In case this should be of any relevance: I'm running knoppix 3.2.


    Cheers,

    Malte

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Control center>peripheral>Xdisplay
    It doesn't appear to work (at least not for me). It says that my resolution is 640x480 w/ a color depth of 8 which is entirely incorrect. I am running 1024x768@24.

    You can really edit these setting in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    If you need assistance witht his file post it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Latina (Italia)
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Control center>peripheral>Xdisplay
    It doesn't appear to work (at least not for me). It says that my resolution is 640x480 w/ a color depth of 8 which is entirely incorrect. I am running 1024x768@24.

    You can really edit these setting in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    If you need assistance witht his file post it.
    It doesn't work for me too (Knoppix 3.2 April 15)

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    7

    re: control center Xdisplay

    When you get to the last screen of the "Video Card" selection there
    will be a section at the bottom of the screen to select the resolution,
    refresh rate and color depth. After a re-boot the new configuration
    will be correct and the "Screen" section should show it.
    At least it works for me.
    egibbs

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    It is indeed not that dificult to change the settings, there is (if I remember correctly) also an commandline config for X-windows, but I dont know the name (something line configX?).

    but I have a slightly different problem - If I run in 1024x786 (@24) my screen is moved to the right, and I cant adjust it far enough on my monitor. does anyone know a way to move it left, in the software? with the installation of suse, I remember, I was able to do so manually (they represented a screen with big buttons for left, right, up and down and if u pressed them the whole screen moved. it was also possible to enlarge or shring, etc etc, very usefull for me...).

    btw win98 is also unable to do it, so I can only run 800x600 - but thats fine for '98, not for kde!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Maybe look at: xvidtune

    HTH

    rock

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    (if I remember correctly)
    Anything to do with your user name?

    but I have a slightly different problem - If I run in 1024x786 (@24) my screen is moved to the right, and I cant adjust it far enough on my monitor. does anyone know a way to move it left, in the software?
    What kind of video card? Are there any drivers for it?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    (if I remember correctly)
    Anything to do with your user name?
    Might be but at that moment I was quite normal... So I dont think so

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstoned
    but I have a slightly different problem - If I run in 1024x786 (@24) my screen is moved to the right, and I cant adjust it far enough on my monitor. does anyone know a way to move it left, in the software?
    What kind of video card? Are there any drivers for it?
    Its a simple 14" monitor, max 1024x786 @60hz, very old, name is ProVista 14 (but I whould call that "no-name"). My vidcard is a 3dfx voodoo3 2000.

    the problem isnt recognition or something like that, that goes correctly (although I have to set the refreshrate to 60 manually), but this monitor seems to be strange at this res (even in win9. Suse 8.1 offered (as the only dist I've seen now, tried several) the option to move the screen up/down etc - and is this possible in knoppix too? someway?


    btw like knoppix anyway - always your own operating system with you!

    grtz

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    btw I'll try Xvidtune (dunno that prog, but I tried, in other distro's like mandrake, vectorlinux and alt-linux, to use the configprogs for X, which didnt offer the option. but I dont know this one (at least dont recognize the name) so I'll try!).

    tnx!

Similar Threads

  1. Need help with flat screen lcd monitor
    By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 11:26 AM
  2. Change of Monitor after installing Knoppix on hard disk
    By BackToShell in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 05:01 PM
  3. HDD Installation - change Monitor Dissolution - But how ?
    By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 04:44 PM
  4. change monitor Dissolution on HDD Installation - but how ?
    By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 11:34 PM
  5. newbie - how to I change the monitor to analogue?
    By cozzy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2003, 10:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD picture

Windows Server 2022 | Intel 18-Core Xeon | 32GB ECC DDR4 | 500GB NVMe | 3TB HDD

$798.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



HPE DL385 Gen10 Plus 2x EPYC 7513 1024GB DDR4 RAM 6x 6.4TB 2x 800G SAS 100G RAID picture

HPE DL385 Gen10 Plus 2x EPYC 7513 1024GB DDR4 RAM 6x 6.4TB 2x 800G SAS 100G RAID

$54229.00



Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$94.95



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99