Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: USB Drive

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67

    USB Drive

    I just bought a Sony 512MB Microvault USB pen drive. Knoppix 3.8.1 calls it Hard Disk Partition uba1. PC is a thinkpad
    R31. I did set up for a home directory on this drive. Do I boot with home=/mnt/uba1/knoppix.img ?
    I thought USB devices were called sda1. What does uba signify?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568

    Re: USB Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by harryhood
    I did set up for a home directory on this drive. Do I boot with home=/mnt/uba1/knoppix.img ?
    Yes. (And if Knoppix doesn't automagically detect your USB flashdrive, try the "noapic" cheatcode.)
    Quote Originally Posted by harryhood
    I thought USB devices were called sda1. What does uba signify?
    USB devices, from Knoppix 3.7 on, have device nodes of ubXy instead of sdXy. (In my limited experience, other Linux distros with kernel 2.6 are heading in this direction as well.) Since "sdxx" usually represents SCSI devices, differentiating them from USB devices is not a bad idea.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    67

    USB

    Thanks eco2,
    I had to give up on the persistent /home deal. It kept hanging the PC. The usb light
    would come on and then I couldn't get any other programs to run or even log out. This
    would happen while using Firefox, unable to get any sites to load was the symptom.
    I'm going to try CTRL-ALT-ESC to kill Firefox next time and see what happens.
    CTRL-ALT-BKSPACE would quit and try to shut down, but it would hang when
    trying to unmount.

    Using the USB to save a config works fine only if I use: myconfig=/dev/uba1, /mnt gives
    errors.

    Any idea why the /home would cause a hang?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    10
    Hi Harry,

    I've created a persistent home directory on a 512MB USB drive and, so far, no problems. I've been using it for a couple of hours now, I've ended and restarted a session and everything seems fine. First boot, I used home=scan, second boot it found the USB home directory itself. One minor niggle, I can't seem to find an equivalent of Windows "Standby" for closing the machine without turning off. I'm sure there must be one. If I can't findit I'll post.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Quote Originally Posted by harryhood
    Any idea why the /home would cause a hang?
    Personally, no. (The shutdown scripts in Knoppix 3.8/CeBit edition were screwed up and would hang with a persistent home, but it didn't affect Knoppix's normal operation, and that's been fixed in 3.8.1.)

    On one computer, Knoppix won't detect the USB key unless I use the "noapic" cheatcode.

    And don't forget you can go to a full-screen console with Ctrl+Alt+F1 thru Ctrl+Alt+F4, and bounce between graphical mode and text-only mode (without shutting down) by typing "init 2" and "init 5" at the command line.

Similar Threads

  1. Copying from an internal hard drive to a USB thumb drive
    By bagmonkey in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 04:50 AM
  2. problem copying linux drive to usb thumb drive
    By kennmurrah in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. Permanent home onto Sandisk USB flash drive ruined drive
    By mjman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-25-2004, 09:46 PM
  5. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab 5 active [Untested for parts only ] picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab 5 active [Untested for parts only ]

$75.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20

Samsung SyncMaster 2033SW 20" 1600x900 Resolution WideScreen LCD Monitor

$41.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99