Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't edit iso on the fly - bummer eh?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    Can't edit iso on the fly - bummer eh?

    I was absolutely sure that I always used to do

    mount -o loop foo.iso /mnt/loop
    &&
    mount -o remount,rw /mnt/loop

    But apparently there isn't anything to edit iso9660 images on the fly :/

    Is this right? I must have been so mistaken.

    I'm told that I have to copy it all back again with mkisofs; a pain since the CD `bootfile` matters, and a bigger pain because I only have 1gb free and I'm doing a 4gb DVD image.

    Guess I'll just have to reboot into Windows and use WinISO :/

    I expect the XBox people find this a pain too. And yes, I relise iso9660 was only meant to be read-only originally.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    You're talking about editing the ISO image, not including the compressed filesystem inside the ISO right?

    I've not known a way to mount it rw.

    BTW you are making a 4 GB ISO? I thought there was a 2 GB limit on the compressed fs (from what I've read)

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    BTW you are making a 4 GB ISO? I thought there was a 2 GB limit on the compressed fs (from what I've read)
    There are some commercial Win tools that claim to let you edit an ISO. I know of no freely available tool though. If anyone does, please respond with the name and source of the tool.

    There is a 2 gig limit on files contained within an ISO9660 file system (The file system that Knoppix uses). There is no 2 gig limit on the file size of the ISO itself. It is the cloop file within the ISO that's in danger of exceeding the 2 gig limit, but there are ways to work around this (nothing says you can only have one cloop file, or that you can't have some applications in it and a lot of other applications in additional klik files. Or that you couldn't even just have the applicatons there with no compression at all). And as a last resort you might switch to a non-iso9660 file system (that 2 gig limit is going to get old as we start getting to blue ray and other new technology), but it might cause problems with making the disc bootable.

Similar Threads

  1. When I edit menu.lst file, should I also edit menu.lst~ ?
    By Uncle Stinky in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 08:53 AM
  2. Edit LILO?
    By el__sid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 12:24 AM
  3. linuxrc: how to edit?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
  4. Trying to edit file onn hdd.
    By CyberInzane in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
  5. iso edit
    By iomari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6

Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"

$200.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



14

14" Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 2i Core I7-1165G7 16GB 256GGB WCam W11 Cord

$230.00



Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...

$749.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...

$349.99



Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14

Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI

$249.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$299.99