-
Senior Member
registered user
(edited 2005.0420)
--Speed and security, plus virtually complete control over the box.
--My suggestion is to go out and buy a cheap 2nd computer (500MHz Pentium or better, 200+ MB RAM and 10+Gig HD) and set it up as a Squid server. You should also buy an inexpensive Ethernet switch (NOT a hub!) and connect everything thru 100MBit wired Ethernet. This is what I did with SuSE 7.3 back in the day (sharing dialup!), and ported it over to Knoppix Hdinstalled (6+ computers + Xbox sharing 4 Mbit cable.)
--This way you don't have to do *any* major work (outside of changing some settings and redirecting the network hookup) to your "main" box, and will have a dedicated machine to experiment with Linux.
Reasons why:
o Multiple computers can share the Squid connection (example: set all browser proxy settings to
10.0.0.9:3128, if that's the IP of the Squidserver) and all Web accesses will be logged and cached.
o You can use a Linux firewall (I recommend "firestarter" for others, but personally I use a custom Iptables script) to protect the Squid box
o Anyone who wants to gank your Windoze box needs to get thru the Linux proxy + firewall 1st (I've never been hacked yet!)
o By having all Internet requests go thru the proxy, it's *much* harder for viruses, etc to get control of your Windoze box (you can even run XP w/o a firewall, since only the proxy will be directly connected.) However, you will need to setup the XP box to have a static IP address, as well as the server.
o By having everything go thru the switch, you only need (1) Ethernet card for each box, including the server.
--I'd be glad to help you with this, if you'd like. Send me a PM and I'll email you my Squid config file.
--Remember: Good passwords + Backups are your friend!
o References:
(Squid)
http://www.squid-cache.org/
( Cheap switch )
http://www.google.com/url?sa=X&oi=fr...zuQAAAAAAAAAAA
--Note - The things I use my Linux boxen for (in addition to Squid):
o Backup storage
o FTP + NFS server(s)
o VMware host (win98se client)
o DVD / CD burning
o Playing movies / dvd's
o Web browsing (I use Opera and Firefox)
o Time synch (' ntpdate ' to update 1 box, then ' rdate ' to update the others)
o Playing with / setting up LVM (logical volume management) and SCSI stuff
--I don't really use them for playing games much anymore (outside of gataxx, frozen bubble and kpoker) - I have an Xbox for that. On a daily basis, I rarely use W98 anymore, even though I have Halo for the PC. Most of my stuff gets done in Linux now.
Similar Threads
-
By Natilous in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-17-2007, 12:10 PM
-
By Arbol in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-05-2006, 06:53 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-05-2004, 03:51 AM
-
By joekrahn in forum Ideas
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 05:20 PM
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-13-2003, 05:52 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$169.99

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$250.00

Apple Mac Pro 5,1 • 8‑Core 2.26GHz • 14GB RAM • 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD Dual NVIDIA
$325.00

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

Intel Xeon W-2245 3.90Ghz 8 Core 16.5MB CPU Processor SRH02
$140.00

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS
$259.98

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex
$159.99