I don't know how well the newest Knoppix installs to HD, but it should
work pretty well by now, flash USBs or cards are HDs, should work.
While Puppy Linux installs easily to a CF card in an IDE adapter, and it isn't especially hard to install Knoppix-based DamnSmall Linux Embedded on one (I'm posting from it on a Portege 3010CT/96MB) being able to easily drop a bootable Knoppix image on a CF card without creating a swapfile on that card would be nice.
1GB cards are inexpensive, getting steadily cheaper, and a run-from-CF Linux laptop is quiet and does not use much battery power.
I don't know how well the newest Knoppix installs to HD, but it should
work pretty well by now, flash USBs or cards are HDs, should work.
If CF would survive being used for a swap file that would be no problem.
CF cards are not conventional hard drives, and swap must be in ram in order not to damage them.
A poormans install would not hurt the flash, but that's not what you wanted.
You'd have to specify: NO swap, or have a swap partition on another drive.
Lets face it, the install has nothing to do with the flash drive swap problem.
I've been running my knoppix 3.4 remaster off of compact flash for almost a year, and I could never go back to liveCD. (Except now that I need to upgrade to 3.8.1 and start over with my customizations, since I want UNIONFS)
Knoppix off CF is not only faster (almost as fast and cheaper than the TORAM option), and you have none of that spontaneous CD activity when you are surfing, and you don't have to limit yourself to 700 Mb when you remaster. I have a 1 Gb CF and plan to upgrade to a 2 Gb CF so that I can add many more packages.
I sure hope knoppix 3.8.1 with UNIONFS doesn't have issues when installed to CF.
For an excellent guide on how to install knoppix to CF, see http://staff.washington.edu/gray/KnoppixCFguide.html

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00
Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB
$160.00
New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00
RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99
RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99
Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00
RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99
Samsung Galaxy Tab A11 SM-X133 8.7in Wi-Fi 4GB 64GB Gray Open Box
$120.00
NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77