Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: HD system: eth0 no longer set up!

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    13

    HD system: eth0 no longer set up!

    My HD-installed system (version 3.4) has stopped setting up eth0. It was working fine before, then box wasn't used for several months, and when used again, no network connection.

    There is no eth0 line in dmesg. However, any of the 'pci' commands will report back detecting the ethernet controller, and I can boot from the CD and eth0 is detected and set up just fine; boot from the hard disk ... not.

    From the running HD system, info below from lspci -v

    00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
    Subsystem: Netgear FA310TX
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
    I/O ports at ec00 [size=256]
    Memory at e7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
    Expansion ROM at e6000000 [disabled] [size=256]

    '/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up' gives this:

    eth0 ERROR when getting interface flags no such device

    ls: /dev/eth*: No such file or directory

    Where do I need to be looking at to troubleshoot this device problem?

    Thanks, john

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    13
    I found that the tulip modules is not being loaded during intialization; I could 'modprobe tulip', and then '/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up' works (actually, I had to bring it down and use /sbin/ifup eth0 to get it both up and with an auto IP address).

    I checked /etc/modules.conf and no alias or mention of 'eth0'. I saw the caution there to use 'update-modules'; did this and it added the alias to the modules files. I rebooted, but '/sbin/ifconfig' shows only interface lo active.

    What is different about knoppix-debian init that the module is not getting loaded; shouldn't it be parsing /etc/modules.conf?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    13

    eth0 problem -- some progress made...

    I've kept searching, and finally did 'locate modules', which has been informative. Haven't always paid attention to the boot-up sequence, but did and found that it copies a kernel-specific module file into a "generic" module file. Looking in there I found a '3C509' module, instead of 'tulip'.

    I realized I'd swapped nic's between knoppix box and router box some time ago. I edited the kernel/module file and now the right module gets loaded. However, dhcp is not getting an address setup, even though the boot up screen shows it asking for dhcp.

    Is there a setup program on the installed HD system to help deal with and correct this?

    Thanks,

    John

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    13

    HD system: eth0 no longer set up! -- SOLVED!!!

    After a good deal of googling, and using the live Cd, and reading though many config files under /etc/, I finally found out how to get changed hardware (I had swapped nics with another box, some time ago and didn't remember this until recently) updated.

    And the answer is ...

    /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig

    After running this manually and rebooting, everything works OK now.

    HTH anyone else who has an issue. If you have problems and the live cd works OK on the same box, try using this to correct problems of new hardware installed in the box.

Similar Threads

  1. System no longer boot kdm
    By will103 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:21 PM
  2. I can no longer boot to windows...
    By tkatchev69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 05:56 PM
  3. Knoppix can no longer mount HD0 !!?
    By audioaficionado in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2003, 10:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW picture

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW

$13.89



LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to... picture

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...

$162.04



Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe picture

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe

$53.99



2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM picture

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM

$37.99



US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits picture

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits

$13.89



Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys picture

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys

$16.99



Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable picture

Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable

$9.97



2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower picture

2 in 1 Compressed Air Duster Air Blower & Vacuum Cleaner Cordless Duster Blower

$16.99



V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB picture

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB

$82.00



Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu... picture

Cordless Vacuum Cleaner for 20V Battery, 7-in-1 Lightweight Stick Vacu...

$149.15