-
Junior Member
registered user
HD system: eth0 no longer set up!
My HD-installed system (version 3.4) has stopped setting up eth0. It was working fine before, then box wasn't used for several months, and when used again, no network connection.
There is no eth0 line in dmesg. However, any of the 'pci' commands will report back detecting the ethernet controller, and I can boot from the CD and eth0 is detected and set up just fine; boot from the hard disk ... not.
From the running HD system, info below from lspci -v
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
Subsystem: Netgear FA310TX
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 9
I/O ports at ec00 [size=256]
Memory at e7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Expansion ROM at e6000000 [disabled] [size=256]
'/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up' gives this:
eth0 ERROR when getting interface flags no such device
ls: /dev/eth*: No such file or directory
Where do I need to be looking at to troubleshoot this device problem?
Thanks, john
-
Junior Member
registered user
I found that the tulip modules is not being loaded during intialization; I could 'modprobe tulip', and then '/sbin/ifconfig eth0 up' works (actually, I had to bring it down and use /sbin/ifup eth0 to get it both up and with an auto IP address).
I checked /etc/modules.conf and no alias or mention of 'eth0'. I saw the caution there to use 'update-modules'; did this and it added the alias to the modules files. I rebooted, but '/sbin/ifconfig' shows only interface lo active.
What is different about knoppix-debian init that the module is not getting loaded; shouldn't it be parsing /etc/modules.conf?
-
Junior Member
registered user
eth0 problem -- some progress made...
I've kept searching, and finally did 'locate modules', which has been informative. Haven't always paid attention to the boot-up sequence, but did and found that it copies a kernel-specific module file into a "generic" module file. Looking in there I found a '3C509' module, instead of 'tulip'.
I realized I'd swapped nic's between knoppix box and router box some time ago. I edited the kernel/module file and now the right module gets loaded. However, dhcp is not getting an address setup, even though the boot up screen shows it asking for dhcp.
Is there a setup program on the installed HD system to help deal with and correct this?
Thanks,
John
-
Junior Member
registered user
HD system: eth0 no longer set up! -- SOLVED!!!
After a good deal of googling, and using the live Cd, and reading though many config files under /etc/, I finally found out how to get changed hardware (I had swapped nics with another box, some time ago and didn't remember this until recently) updated.
And the answer is ...
/etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig
After running this manually and rebooting, everything works OK now.
HTH anyone else who has an issue. If you have problems and the live cd works OK on the same box, try using this to correct problems of new hardware installed in the box.
Similar Threads
-
By will103 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:21 PM
-
By tkatchev69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 05:56 PM
-
By audioaficionado in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-08-2003, 10:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Samsung 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 1Rx8 288-Pin PC4 UDIMM Desktop RAM Memory M378A1K43CB2
$94.95

Crucial 32GB(4 x 8GB) CT8G4DFS824A.C8FDD1 DDR4-2400 UDIMM Desktop RAM - CR352A
$89.95

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Samsung 32GB 4x8GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 ECC SODIMM RAM M474A1K43BB1-CTD Tested
$119.00

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM
$145.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99