I am using the Live CD version of Knoppix on my Intel based laptop; the web browsers are runnig fine and I am able to browse websites on the internet (such as this website). If I try to send out emails using a command line based program, such as mail, it fails to deliver the email to the outside world. It of course works for the "local" email.
This works:
-------------------------
>mail myself
..
-----------------------
I can see the email send to "myself" when I invoke mail to view my messages.
This does not work:
-----------------------------
> mails [email protected]
...
-----------------------------
I get long messages (when mail is invoked with -verbose option) -- it basically tries for quite a while to send the email (it is able to connect to the yahoo servers) but finally gives up. The following is a snippet of the log:
-------------------------------------------------
tcpsmtp driver for transport smtp:
connect to host mx2.mail.yahoo.com[67.28.114.35]/smtp...
failed: connect: Connection timed out
unlocking retry/smtp/67.28.114.35 and storing error: transport smtp: connect: Connection timed out.
lock of retry/smtp/67.28.114.36 succeeded (will defer if delivery fails)
tcpsmtp driver for transport smtp:
connect to host mx2.mail.yahoo.com[67.28.114.36]/smtp...
failed: connect: Connection timed out
unlocking retry/smtp/67.28.114.36 and storing error: transport smtp: connect: Connection timed out.
lock of retry/smtp/4.79.181.13 succeeded (will defer if delivery fails)
tcpsmtp driver for transport smtp:
connect to host mx2.mail.yahoo.com[4.79.181.13]/smtp...
----------------------------------------------
Any clue on what's going on, and/or help on fixing this is very much appreciated.

*Brand New-Factory Sealed* AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 5.6GHz AM5 00-100001973WOF
$449.00
AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor
$199.99
OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00
DELL POWEREDGE R640 8SFF 2x 8 CORE SILVER 4110 2.1GHZ 32GB RAM H740P NO HDD
$550.00
Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...
$599.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$395.00
HP - OmniBook 3 - 14" 2K OLED Laptop - Snapdragon X (8-Core CPU) - 8GB Memory...
$399.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
Dell OptiPlex 5050 SFF Core i5-7500, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Win11 PRO Up
$89.00