I am using the Live CD version of Knoppix on my Intel based laptop; the web browsers are runnig fine and I am able to browse websites on the internet (such as this website). If I try to send out emails using a command line based program, such as mail, it fails to deliver the email to the outside world. It of course works for the "local" email.
This works:
-------------------------
>mail myself
..
-----------------------
I can see the email send to "myself" when I invoke mail to view my messages.
This does not work:
-----------------------------
> mails [email protected]
...
-----------------------------
I get long messages (when mail is invoked with -verbose option) -- it basically tries for quite a while to send the email (it is able to connect to the yahoo servers) but finally gives up. The following is a snippet of the log:
-------------------------------------------------
tcpsmtp driver for transport smtp:
connect to host mx2.mail.yahoo.com[67.28.114.35]/smtp...
failed: connect: Connection timed out
unlocking retry/smtp/67.28.114.35 and storing error: transport smtp: connect: Connection timed out.
lock of retry/smtp/67.28.114.36 succeeded (will defer if delivery fails)
tcpsmtp driver for transport smtp:
connect to host mx2.mail.yahoo.com[67.28.114.36]/smtp...
failed: connect: Connection timed out
unlocking retry/smtp/67.28.114.36 and storing error: transport smtp: connect: Connection timed out.
lock of retry/smtp/4.79.181.13 succeeded (will defer if delivery fails)
tcpsmtp driver for transport smtp:
connect to host mx2.mail.yahoo.com[4.79.181.13]/smtp...
----------------------------------------------
Any clue on what's going on, and/or help on fixing this is very much appreciated.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00
20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99
Western Digital WD Red 4TB NAS Hard Drive WD40EFRX SATA 64MB 3.5" HDD
$70.00
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00
Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99
WD Re 3TB Enterprise 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache
$70.00