Afer having tons of refugee laptops I've decided its time to spring for a new current one. I don't use a laptop enough to warrant spending $1K plus I just don't have those kinds of needs for portable computing.
Walmart (I have only so much $$$ to spread around) is offering:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3951%3A4070
Which is an 14.1" AMD based latop that for ~ $750 would have 512MB (w/upgrd.) and some other decent spec's.
Has any one gotten one of these and tried any version of Knoppix on it? Results? What does and does not work? Wireless? Modem (most likely a winsleaze winmodem, but I have some old real V.90 cards and/or my 1x cell phone)? Touchpad? Ethernet?
Machine would be wiped, and most likely partitioned to dual boot mainly Knoppix, and a winslease XP Pro partition when absolutely needed. Even if I left winslease on it, it would have to get wiped and winsleaze XP pro put on it.
Comments on this model under Knoppix?
NOTE: If your going to make suggestions on other SUB ~$800 laptops, they MUST BE AMD powered, I will not consider any intel cpu based units.

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99
Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99
Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$221.00