no big deal, only thing is that you'll have to hack cloop for 2.5/6 kernels. Have fun![]()
Can anyone please tell me what to do in order to install the 2.5.67 beta kernel and it's modules?
I tried it myself quite often and it seems that the modules are not correctly linked and therefore not loaded after booting nor treated by depmod.
I looked around to see where this information is stored but I had no luck.
I think that the new kernel uses a complete new concept by compiling and booting.
I would be very gratefull if somebody could post the exact steps and commands to do the following:
a). compile the 2.5.67 kernel and its modules to setup a running system on knoppix 3.2
b). compile the 2.4.20 kernel with acpi and alsa support on knoppix 3.2
Thank you all in advance
skda
no big deal, only thing is that you'll have to hack cloop for 2.5/6 kernels. Have fun![]()
Hey,
I've got exactly the same problem with Knoppix kernel compilation.
I downloaded Kernel 2.4.20 from kernel.org and alsa driver (snd-via82xx) from http://www.alsa-project.org (a great website) - but it seems that I don't know how to apply the xfs-patch to the kernel sources. Some directories have the same name and I don't know how to merge xfs patch and kernel sources together so that I can compile a kernel like the one that is already running... feeling like a complete newbie although I'm already working with Unix / Linux for years...![]()
btw. compilation of alsa driver seems to be no problem - insmod only tells me that I compiled the alsa driver for kernel 2.4.20, whereas 2.4.20-xfs is currently running, which again shows me that I didn't add the xfs-patch to 2.4.20 at compile time... chaos...
Thank you very much for every hint...
solu
someone correct me if I am wrong.
At the kernel level, the xfs stuff is just something that patch the kernel such that the XFS module(if one choose to use it) can work properly. So patching it or not doesn't really matter if one does not have the intention of really using XFS. In that sense, just add 'xfs' to the extraversion keyword in Makefile of the kernel source(after make config) and everything should be fine as the compiled kernel would say 2.4.20-xfs when queried.

IBM Power S822 POWER8 1x CPU 32GB DDR4 RAM 2U Rack Server No HDD.
$629.99
Lot of 2 IBM blade center Type H chassis 8852
$559.00
$400.00
IBM System S822 Dual Socket Server Motherboard W/Cage FRU P/N: 74Y4343 Tested
$499.99
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$108.92
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
Pre Owned | IBM System x3650 M4 AC1 Server with 1x Intel CPU & 16GB RAM
$154.99
IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU
$200.00
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$149.99