Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't edit iso on the fly - bummer eh?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    5

    Can't edit iso on the fly - bummer eh?

    I was absolutely sure that I always used to do

    mount -o loop foo.iso /mnt/loop
    &&
    mount -o remount,rw /mnt/loop

    But apparently there isn't anything to edit iso9660 images on the fly :/

    Is this right? I must have been so mistaken.

    I'm told that I have to copy it all back again with mkisofs; a pain since the CD `bootfile` matters, and a bigger pain because I only have 1gb free and I'm doing a 4gb DVD image.

    Guess I'll just have to reboot into Windows and use WinISO :/

    I expect the XBox people find this a pain too. And yes, I relise iso9660 was only meant to be read-only originally.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    You're talking about editing the ISO image, not including the compressed filesystem inside the ISO right?

    I've not known a way to mount it rw.

    BTW you are making a 4 GB ISO? I thought there was a 2 GB limit on the compressed fs (from what I've read)

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    BTW you are making a 4 GB ISO? I thought there was a 2 GB limit on the compressed fs (from what I've read)
    There are some commercial Win tools that claim to let you edit an ISO. I know of no freely available tool though. If anyone does, please respond with the name and source of the tool.

    There is a 2 gig limit on files contained within an ISO9660 file system (The file system that Knoppix uses). There is no 2 gig limit on the file size of the ISO itself. It is the cloop file within the ISO that's in danger of exceeding the 2 gig limit, but there are ways to work around this (nothing says you can only have one cloop file, or that you can't have some applications in it and a lot of other applications in additional klik files. Or that you couldn't even just have the applicatons there with no compression at all). And as a last resort you might switch to a non-iso9660 file system (that 2 gig limit is going to get old as we start getting to blue ray and other new technology), but it might cause problems with making the disc bootable.

Similar Threads

  1. When I edit menu.lst file, should I also edit menu.lst~ ?
    By Uncle Stinky in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-03-2008, 08:53 AM
  2. Edit LILO?
    By el__sid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 12:24 AM
  3. linuxrc: how to edit?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
  4. Trying to edit file onn hdd.
    By CyberInzane in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2004, 09:33 PM
  5. iso edit
    By iomari in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$9599.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz picture

RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz

$100.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory picture

Dell 32GB DDR5 5600 CAMM KYHG6V Precision 7670 7680 7770 7780 16Gx8 Memory

$669.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00