Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Trouble doing poor man's for 3.7

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Scottsdale AZ USA
    Posts
    12

    Trouble doing poor man's for 3.7

    I have never had a problem installing/poor man's install before. Wife wanted to 'save to cd' and did her stuff and then have a poor man's install done with 3.7. Been doing that since 3.3 first arrived.

    We wiped/reformated the hd as she didn't like the 'extra' partitions it had, so we have just the primary and one logical with a swap betwix them. ext2 and blank otherwise.

    I used a disk 1 from mandy 9.1 and also redid it with fdisk. It still will not go to the hd and do the 'copying cdrom' thingy. I had 3.6 on there, and it will not.

    The command I used is:

    boot: knoppix26 tohd /dev/hde1

    also tried /mnt/hde1

    That machine see's the first primary as hde1 not hda1..apparently the manufacturer has a 'second' disk controller on it as this machine, which needed more hd had to have one installed in a pci slot and also doesn't have any hda's, just hde's.

    I even ;saved config' and make a home etc and it still will not copy either 3.6 or 3.7 as a 'poor man's' install..just runs off the cd only.

    Help! What am I missing / messed up!

    2. Does it have to have something installed on the hd to work? It is just formatted ext2 only on both hde1 and hde6 with hde5 being swap...no installed os at all. I could put SimplyMepis on it as a os if need be.

    Don't tell her to:
    boot; knoppix hdinstall

    Silly woman!!

    Sorry for the long post, but I tried 'tohd' for about 3 hours and nothing worked!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    3
    I am having the exact problem. I've tried to install it on 3 different HD's and still no luck. I keep getting this error; "Copying knoppix CDROM failed. /dev/hda1 is not mountable." then it boots from the CD. I've tried using hdc1 and hdd1 and nothing.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3
    I changed the configuaration of my computer a couple of weeks ago and also ended with a harddisk recognized as hde.
    Very likely that first disk controller is available. Just move the cable of the harddisk to the other connector and try again.
    If the harddisk is recognized as hdb, then just use the other connector on the harddisk cable.

    Good luck.

    Stefan

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    3
    i got it to work. i had to go into the terminal and type some things in.

Similar Threads

  1. Poor Man's Install
    By anksingh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 04:56 AM
  2. Help with Poor Man's Boot / bootfromiso
    By pau1knopp in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 03:13 PM
  3. Poor Man's DVD Install
    By xfiles in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
  4. Floppy for Poor Man's Install?
    By bigkahuna in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2005, 08:22 PM
  5. Poor man's install???
    By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE

$189.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00