Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9

    Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

    I'm running knoppix on a laptop from the live CD.
    I've created a ext2 partition who acts as home directory.
    When i boot with "knoppix home=/dev/hda6" everything works ok except that I discovered something weird.
    When i look at the properties of the knoppix home directory it says "/ramdisk/home" so I suppose that the home directory is copied to ramdisk at startup?
    Is this right?

    What wonders me is, when I create something on the home directory and then reboot, at the reboot it's gone. Even when I do a "Save KNOPPIX configuration". Is this normal ?

    Rony

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Re: Knoppix home directory not persistent ?

    Quote Originally Posted by bucodi
    I'm running knoppix on a laptop from the live CD.
    I've created a ext2 partition who acts as home directory.
    When i boot with "knoppix home=/dev/hda6" everything works ok except that I discovered something weird.
    When i look at the properties of the knoppix home directory it says "/ramdisk/home" so I suppose that the home directory is copied to ramdisk at startup?
    Is this right?

    What wonders me is, when I create something on the home directory and then reboot, at the reboot it's gone. Even when I do a "Save KNOPPIX configuration". Is this normal ?

    Rony

    I've the same problem (not only on a laptop) with Knoppix 3.8.1, if i put the home persistent directory image on a FAT32 filesystem all is rigth, but if i put the home persistent directory on e ext2 filesystem it does not work like a persistent directory...

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    38
    I found that if I type myconfig=scan home=scan, lots of config settings are kept, but it still ain't perfect. The only files that I add to my system that stay permanently, are the ones I add to the desktop. All the others disappear in a mysterious fashion. I've got knoppix on a slave HD as a pmi, and start it using the cd. I'm also horribly new to this so apologies if it seems like the blind are leading the blind.

Similar Threads

  1. Persistent Home Directory on DVD
    By jm47048 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 09:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:01 AM
  3. Persistent Home Directory
    By Dooley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 08:43 PM
  4. Create a persistent Knoppix home directory?
    By spydie in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 12:09 PM
  5. Problem with a Persistent KNOPPIX home directory
    By pnti in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-07-2003, 12:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX picture

Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX

$850.00



RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ* picture

RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*

$299.99



Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E picture

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E

$139.99



Vintage Intel iPDS-100  Personal Development System picture

Vintage Intel iPDS-100 Personal Development System

$1499.99



Tandy 1000 TX Personal Computer Vintage PC very clean untested no accessories  picture

Tandy 1000 TX Personal Computer Vintage PC very clean untested no accessories

$199.00



Vintage Oregon Scientific Batman Power Wing Laptop Educational Learning Device picture

Vintage Oregon Scientific Batman Power Wing Laptop Educational Learning Device

$39.99



Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk picture

Vintage Exponent 11 Drawer Modular Media Storage Cabinet 3.5 5.25 Floppy PC Disk

$250.00



Vintage FrameForge 3D Studio*NEW* Storyboarding Previz Film NOS 2005 Windows Mac picture

Vintage FrameForge 3D Studio*NEW* Storyboarding Previz Film NOS 2005 Windows Mac

$63.50



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Lot of 2 UNTESTED Vintage Laptops 90's 2000's IBM Thinkpad X32 Samsung SENS 800 picture

Lot of 2 UNTESTED Vintage Laptops 90's 2000's IBM Thinkpad X32 Samsung SENS 800

$89.99