Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Getting knoppix to work on a P1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Getting knoppix to work on a P1

    I have a P1 and I want to use knoppix on it and I cant make it boot from the cd drive, is there and knoppix boot disks I can use?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Getting knoppix to work on a P1

    Quote Originally Posted by Aphot
    I have a P1 and I want to use knoppix on it and I cant make it boot from the cd drive, is there and knoppix boot disks I can use?
    You're much better off using Smart Boot Manager or XOSL.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    17
    I've made this work, but not the usual way. I resorted to using a DOS boot disk with CD-ROM drivers and a very handy utility called Loadlin:

    http://elserv.ffm.fgan.de/~lermen/

    The command line is simple: loadlin <kernel image filename> <kernel boot parameters>

    So, at the prompt, change to the D:\BOOT\ISOLINUX directory (I think) and do something like:

    Code:
    A:\loadlin knoppix.img <parameters and cheatcodes here>
    You'll need some non-cheatcode parameters, such as ramdisk_size=100000. Check out the isolinux.cfg file to see what you'll need. I've used this technique to boot Knoppix on my old Pentium MMX 166 laptop w/64M of RAM. Knoppix runs unbearably slow with so little RAM, but it's not too bad if you don't need X11, or boot with a desktop other than KDE. Having a swap partition helps a lot, of course - I'm not sure it'll even boot X without swap.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2
    I guess it wont even be worth doing because its 200mhz with 32mb of ram, its not even a mmx processor :/. Thanks for the help anyways .

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Heh...I tried installing Dettu[Xx] on a 33 Mhz 7mb RAM comp that had 39 mb of hard drive space. I didn't even get halfway through the first boot disk. :-p

Similar Threads

  1. Mozilla profiles work for Windows and won't work for Musix
    By ml2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.6 and 3.7 - KDM on CD not work :(
    By pabloo in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 11:17 PM
  3. Does knoppix 3.6 work for you?
    By metavoid in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 10:15 PM
  4. knoppix does not work from my cp
    By slurp in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 02:24 AM
  5. Soundcard Yamaha don't work under K3.3, work under K3.2
    By Mokoshi in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 2TB 2.5" SATA III 3D NAND SSD MZ-76E2T0 94-100% Health

$207.00



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung PM43H 43

Samsung PM43H 43" Commercial Display READ

$300.00



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99