Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: XP and ntfs

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    XP and ntfs

    How do I use Knoppix to recover files from the NTFS file system on my hard drive. I have Windows XP and Knoppix 3.7

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Knoppix is pretty sketchy with NTFS, so I've heard...And I know nothing about recovering files...What exactly do you want to do? If you were a bit more specific, I might be able to help.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3

    burn cd

    I was able to access my hard drive, but im not sure how to burn files onto a CD. I only have one CD burner and I'm running the Knoppix disk on it

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: burn cd

    Quote Originally Posted by oneohthree
    I was able to access my hard drive, but im not sure how to burn files onto a CD. I only have one CD burner and I'm running the Knoppix disk on it
    Yup, that's a problem. If you have a gig or more of memory then you can use the toram cheat code. If not then you can transfer the files across a network, store them on another device like a USB flash memory device, or you could get a different Live CD distro that takes up less space like DSL (Damn Small Linux). DSL fits in about 50 meg and still can burn CD's, so you can either use the toram option with it and then take out the CD, or you can burn it to the first session of a multi session CD. You can then burn your data to the second session of the CD while the CD is still in the system (the CD will no longer be bootable but you will have your data).

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3
    how do u mount usb drives?

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by oneohthree
    how do u mount usb drives?
    For me, if the flash drive is plugged into a USB port at boot time, there will be an icon on the desktop that I can use (ricght click abd use the actions... submenu to make it read/write). Other have reported problems where they don't see the icon. I don't know how they have resolved this but you could search the forums for the threads.

Similar Threads

  1. ntfs.sys file: Writing on ntfs partition version 3.8.1
    By zette in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 03:03 PM
  2. unable to write to NTFS with captive-ntfs
    By harry66 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 05:03 PM
  3. Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive
    By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
  4. NTFS: Will 3.4/2.6 write to NTFS reliably and safely?
    By David Ormsby-Gore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 09:45 AM
  5. captive ntfs - mount ntfs (reade/write) through icon
    By terminator in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 10:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh Plus Desktop Computer - M0001A

$150.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed picture

Vintage Apple II Arcade Game Galactic Wars Apple Computer NOS Sealed

$125.00



Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle picture

Vintage Apple Rainbow Metal Case Emblem Logo rectangle

$49.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts

$71.95



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested picture

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested

$210.00