Can someone tell me the difference between upgrade and update, it seems that there are lot of update and upgrade everyday never ends, but I don't see the version change on for example the Mozilla Thunderbird it is still 1.0
Can someone tell me the difference between upgrade and update, it seems that there are lot of update and upgrade everyday never ends, but I don't see the version change on for example the Mozilla Thunderbird it is still 1.0
Update just updates the package list from the resporitories, so that Apt will download the latest package if you tell it to, Upgrade actually downloads and installs the latest packages on the list, if they are newer than the current version. Type apt-get --help for info on Apt commands
As for the Thunderbird thing, I don't know if there's a Debian build later than 1.0 yet (but I might be wrong, anyone?)
EDIT: allow me to correct myself. If you want to update Thunderbird you'll either have to get the Mozilla.org release or add these lines to sources.list:
deb http://people.debian.org/~asac/testing ./
deb-src http://people.debian.org/~asac/testing ./
More info on Debian Thunderbird Here
Mark
Thanks, I will try later.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$329.00
Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99