I want to get rid of some of the menu items in the default Knoppix boot. Is it as simple as exporting DISPLAY and running Kmenuedit from your chroot'ed custom environment?
Thanks,
Lawrence Riske
I want to get rid of some of the menu items in the default Knoppix boot. Is it as simple as exporting DISPLAY and running Kmenuedit from your chroot'ed custom environment?
Thanks,
Lawrence Riske
as far as i can remeber, the kde cofiguration is stored in /etc/skel/.kde (or something like that).
So you have to modify this files. An easy way of doing this is, to configure KDE for your knoppix user and then copy the ~/.kde directory to /etc/skel/.kde.
That's the way I did it.
so long,
red
Originally Posted by lgriske
Or.. run kmenuedit from CD, and copy the .kde files from ~/.kde to your chrooted /etc/skel/.kde
That method also works for the bookmark bar and color themes etc .
Works like a champ. Thanks for the help. I had already tried that, but it looks like when I copied the directories to /etc/skel I forgot the recursive switch. arrg.
Thanks again for the help,
L. Riske
Other things that got me that you might want to look out for. Sorry if some of this seems obvious.
1) It's probably something I did, but if knoppix doesn't have permissions to the /etc/skel/.kde items they won't get copied on boot and you won't see them.
All items should be owner: root, group: root, permissions: rwxr-xr-x. These dirs get copied to the /home/knoppix dir during all that boot time magic. It looks like they get chgrp'ed and chown'ed to knoppix at that time.
You can do this in a root shell by "chmod -R 755 /etc/skel/.kde/"
2) KDE menu items are files such as Mutt.desktop. You can view and modify their contents with vi.
I noticed that sometimes menu items would simply disappear after modifying them in KMenuEditor. What happens is that a line that reads:
Hidden=false
gets removed somehow. Manually putting that back into the .desktop file brought the item back.
Thanks,
L. Riske
I noticed this thread and had an Idea, but didn't know if it would work. I was thinking of changing KDE the using the create a persistant home directory then copying that dir structure to the /etc/skel directory. Would that work or am I missing something?
Thanks

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller
$295.00