Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: How can I do the boot floppies on Kno38?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53

    How can I do the boot floppies on Kno38?

    Hi everyone

    I can't find the Make Boot floopy Disk options on KNOPPIX menu nor anyone else on KDE

    I tried to use a Terminal and type mkbootfloppy and it would say that the command doesn't exist

    Can anyone explain me how can I get them? or Should I do them from skatch (how?)? I have floopies for kno37

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Use Smart Boot Manager or XOSL. SBM can go on a flopy or just be installed to the hard drive MBR (no more floppies needed), XOSL is larger, must be installed to hard drive (but it is a simple install if you can read and follow instructions). I recommend installing XOSL to it's own small partiotion (just a few meg in size).

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53
    I just did a quick google to SBM. that means you have to install it to make it work. same with XOSL.

    That won't solve my problem. That means no more "using somebody's else computer without changing the BIOS conf or installing stuff".

    I guess I'll be stuck with kno37 when I use someone's else PC.

    At least till' I get enough money to buy a 1GB Protable USB Driver and boot knop from there (hopping the PC is enable to boot from USB's, darn)

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by OP4Latino
    I just did a quick google to SBM. that means you have to install it to make it work. same with XOSL.
    No, you can put SBM on a floppy and boot from that if you really want a floppy solution. When there was a Linux boot floppy that would boot Knoppix it had a copy of the Kernel on it and it would only boot that one version of Knoppix. Now the kernel has suffered the same bloat that affects many things in this industry and no longer fits on a single floppy. But SBM can go on a floppy (no kernel involved, just a nice boot loader that knows how to boot CDs) and it can boot any CD, so if you change to a different version of Knboppix or even if you want to boot some other bootable CD, it will work.

    I did state this in my first post.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53
    I finally got SMB. I like it very much. Now I can use other CD live distros too

    Thanks man.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    Still, I miss the option in knoppix that enables any dummy to create a boot floppy without having to think about it.

    SBM looks quite a bit more complicated and I didn't see a simple HOWTO. What are the steps involved in using SBM?

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    .... What are the steps involved in using SBM?
    Download the version of the installer for your system.

    If you are using the Windows/DOS version, open a DOS session. Type the name of the installer once with no arguments. It prints out it's arguments. Look at the arguments available. Type the command again, with the arguments you want (selecting if you want to install to HD MBR or Floppy).

    Reboot and run SBM. Select what you want to boot from the menu.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    What are the steps involved in using SBM?
    Personally, I use this link http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm. It have details of how to install SMB to a floppy. I highly recommend to use the "dd" linux command.

Similar Threads

  1. Floppies?
    By PupSpark in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
  2. boot floppies when a pc has a very old cdrom
    By dicktracy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-27-2006, 10:56 PM
  3. using the boot floppies on 4.0.2
    By pebay in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 12:03 AM
  4. Boot Floppies Don't Work Ver3.7
    By crhoff in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2005, 09:13 PM
  5. How to create boot floppies for 3.4?
    By fredrikj in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99