i would do both.
that way you get most of what you want saved.
I am not trying to boot from my 256MB USB Pen-Drive but I am trying to save my desktop settings (Resulution,wallpaper Gaim Passwords) so when Knoppix boots it would load my settings. I think Knoppix is an excellent tool for learning Linux which is why I picked it and plan to learn as much as possibe with it. There are 2 options
1. Creating a Persistent Knoppix Disk Image
2. Save Knoppix Configuration Option
Which one of this 2 options is the one I need to save my settings and take them with me to any PC on my USB Pen-Drive. Is a 256MB Pen-Drive enough to store the image??? What are the differences. Please help!!! (I read the FAQ's and is all too confusing to me, or is this subject not written clear enough??)
i would do both.
that way you get most of what you want saved.
I agree, do both. The configuration file is quite small but don't save files on the desktop (menu selection) as it can then get quite large! I'd select 230 MB for the PH to give room for the configuration file and ability to move smaller files via the pen drive.
Is 230 MB big enough? I found it OK when I was primarily using Klik. With unionFS update you'll quickly lose half the space. This still provides some flexibility for adding further packages. If that is sufficient, fine, otherwise 512MB or 1MB pen drive would give longer term flexibility.
drb
What happens when you boot with home=scan if you have both saved? Does it read the knoppix.sh from the /home or from the "root" of the USB pen?
I am also a newbie to Knoppix and am running it via VMware to learn Linux, since I am desparately trying to become a Linux user.
How can I save my settings in vmware? Can I somehow simulate a USB disk or some sort?
If using vmware 5, yes - I think so. You should be able to create a virtual disk and mount it via usb. But that shouldn't be necessary; just create a SCSI disk and Knoppix should recognize it. (You might have to format it though.)
Edit: Upon investigation, it's not possible to create a virtual USB device at this time. You have to create a virtual SCSI or IDE drive.
Originally Posted by Annorax
Thank you for your post.Originally Posted by Dave_Bechtel
Yes, I am running Vmware 5.
I try the Save Setting option, but it says it can't do it. How do I set up a hard drive partition on the virtual drive for this?
First you have to set up the scsi drive: (as root of course)
o ' fdisk /dev/sda '
' p ' == List partition table
' n ' == New partition
' e ' == Extended
' 1 ' == Partition 1
( Enter 2x to accept the defaults, use entire drive for 1 partition )
' n '
' L ' (lowercase l) == Logical
( Enter 2x to accept the defaults )
' t ' == Change partition type
' 5 ' == Change 1st logical partition in Extended
' b ' == Win95 FAT32
' p ' == List partition tbl again
' w ' == Write changes to disk and quit
o Format it:
' mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/sda5 '
' mkdir /mnt/tmp '
' mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/tmp -onoatime '
--At this point, you should be able to save stuff.
Originally Posted by Annorax
When I type fdisk /dev/sda, the konsole tells me it is unable to open /dev/sda.
Do I need to do something in Vmware first?
After I get it to work, I use the following commands then?
fdisk /dev/sda [hit enter twice]
mkdosfs -F 32 -v /dev/sda5
mkdir /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/tmp -onoatime
Must I do those command each time I start up Knoppix again to get it to save, or just mount it?
--You have to create a SCSI disk in vmware first, of course.
--Read my post again; I supplied the commands you need to type in fdisk to create the partition. After you save your settings, knoppix should automatically detect it and mount it for you, if you put in the proper cheat code at boot.
Originally Posted by Annorax

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD
$124.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99