Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: I can't find a clear answer please help!!!!

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11
    Yes I know I have to make a SCSI hd in VMware, I did that.

    I have a SCSI hard disk, I can see it in tab for this virtual machine. But when I boot up Knoppix and tell it to save Configuration, I select the hard drive and then it simply says that it cannot save the settings, nothing more.

    From Knoppix, I went into the Konsole and typed "fdisk /dev/sda" and it says it can't find /dev/sda.

    That is my problem. The virtual SCSI is there but I cannot format it.

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    Ah; Sorry. You can try changing it to IDE; it should work then.
    (But obviously it won't be sda anymore; you'll have to do ' fdisk -l ' to find it.)

    I had problems using the LSI Logic virtual SCSI adapter in vmware w/ Knoppix; you may want to start over with a new virtual machine and tell it to use a BusLogic SCSI adapter instead (which is what I did.) I know Kpx autodetects Buslogic SCSI; but haven't figured out how to load the LSI (Symbios) driver.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annorax
    Yes I know I have to make a SCSI hd in VMware, I did that.

    I have a SCSI hard disk, I can see it in tab for this virtual machine. But when I boot up Knoppix and tell it to save Configuration, I select the hard drive and then it simply says that it cannot save the settings, nothing more.

    From Knoppix, I went into the Konsole and typed "fdisk /dev/sda" and it says it can't find /dev/sda.

    That is my problem. The virtual SCSI is there but I cannot format it.

  3. #13
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11
    I made an IDE hard drive /dev/hda, and I type "fdisk -l /dev/hda" and it still says the same error.

    I'm going to try to figure out how to use the BusLogic SCSI adapter instead and see if it works, but am not seeing how to use it instead of the regular adapter...

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    It's not ' fdisk -l /dev/hda '...

    it's:

    ' fdisk -l ' (L) == To list the drives in the system; then
    ' fdisk /dev/hda ' == To repartition it.

    --Some things in Vm5 are a pain... To change the SCSI adapter, you have to start over with creating a whole new virtual machine.

    --Also, when the VM starts to boot, hit F2 and do the following to optimize:

    o Enable 32-bit I/O on all the IDE devices (Hit Enter on Primary Master, etc)
    o Enable the boot diagnostic screen - this will tell you if the drive is showing up @boot

    o Change the boot order (Boot tab); hit Ctrl-Enter to show all devices. I have Floppy 1st, then cdrom, then IDE (or scsi).

    --If all else fails, post the results of ' fdisk -l ' and ' dmesg ' in this thread.

    BTW, you _are_ doing the fdisk as root, right??

    Quote Originally Posted by Annorax
    I made an IDE hard drive /dev/hda, and I type "fdisk -l /dev/hda" and it still says the same error.

    I'm going to try to figure out how to use the BusLogic SCSI adapter instead and see if it works, but am not seeing how to use it instead of the regular adapter...

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11
    Here is a screen shot of dmesg that talks about the SCSI drive:

    http://img9.echo.cx/img9/465/sdaproblem8cl.jpg

    I believe I am in root, as Knoppix just boots up with no login screen.

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Well, it's definitely detecting it. But you **have** to be root to configure it. Konsole should have "New Root console" in the Session menu, you might have to give it a root password.

    --If you're booting from the CD, virtual consoles 1-4 (IIRC) are Root. Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and you should be at a root prompt. Otherwise you can ' su - ' and type the root password there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Annorax
    Here is a screen shot of dmesg that talks about the SCSI drive:

    http://img9.echo.cx/img9/465/sdaproblem8cl.jpg

    I believe I am in root, as Knoppix just boots up with no login screen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Blacklist? Is this my answer?
    By nps420218 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 10:30 AM
  2. is the only answer remastering?
    By Reaper in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 08:19 PM
  3. howto clear print queue?
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 01:03 AM
  4. boot loader not clear
    By ramaswamyps in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2005, 03:29 AM
  5. simple question, yet hard to find an answer !
    By adyga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-25-2003, 02:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL SOLID STATE DRIVE

$189.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99