Viruses? On Linux?
I have to assume "Knoppix Hacks" hack #78 "Scan for Viruses" is defunct. I've gotten f-prot to run using Klik but have to wonder how many people are using Klik/f-prot to scan Windows boxes or if there is a "better" alternative excluding the "get an AV that runs under Windows and pay the subscription" option.
Viruses? On Linux?
Could you boot with the CD and a USB /home, mount and make writable the windoze hdd, then scan and clean the hdd?
Seems like a great way to clean a hdd but it would probably make a mess of the win install.![]()
Probono, I'm scanning a Windows disk, not a Linux disk.
Harryhood, I actually got f-prot to work. And since I'm scanning a FAT and not an NTFS disk, I'm not worried about corrupting the disk.
In general, I'm trying to see if anyone else is using a live Linux to scan a Windows machine. If so, are they using F-PROT or some other app?
Should we really suppport the use of Linux as a "supplementary" tool to "fix" Windows' weaknesses?
(note that this is a question - I don't mean to be rude)
Please, please, please don't see Linux as another "Norton's" for Windows - it's a usable system that can replace your installation of Windows altogether. For me, deleting Windows has fixed the cause of the problem instead of mere treating the symptoms.
Greetings,
probono
In general, Knoppix itself touts the toolkit-for-rescuing-Windows-installations image: "Knoppix Hacks" has a whole slew of these types of hacks.
Personally, more than half the time I'm on a computer, any computer, I use Knoppix as my desktop. Most of the computers I have access to (clients, friends, family, etc) have the 381 iso on their hard drive so I can bootfrom it and free up the (possibly only) CDROM drive. Coupled with my USB drive, I have a reliable, consistent platform to answer my computer needs where ever I happen to have computer needs.
One of the only pet peeves I have with Knoppix is that Ubuntu handles installations better in-so-far-as automating security patches, etc. Ignorant/lazy users needn't do anything other than click on the big warning button that appears automatically whenever patches become available.
I view Knoppix's toolkit-for-Windows abilities not as a limit to how Knoppix should be used but as yet another reason Knoppix is such a useful IT resource.
Sure, and that's perfectly ok, just for myself I have decided that I want to do more valuable things with my time than supporting Windows' weaknesses.Btw, there is BitDefender which is a commercially available and supported Virus scanner on a remastered Knoppix CD.
http://www.bitdefender.ocom
Greetings,
probono

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$248.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99
Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50