-
boot from CompactFlash Card ext2 formatted
Please give some advice !
How can I create a bootable CompactFlash Card ext2 formatted
Sistem configuration
Laptop IbmThinkpad T22
- No internal idehdd
- No usb hdd boot bios
- hub usb 4x
- One external usb harddrive with knoppix hdd install on /dev/sda1 / and /dev/sda5 /home
- cdrom ide /dev/hdc
- card reader usb
- CompactFlash Card 128M ext2 formated
can I create a /boot on CF and use for booting? How I do that?
can I grub boot the hddKNX using KNX cd and CF mounted /boot ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have knoppix on compactflash and it rocks... but I have a 1 gig CF card. For a 128 Meg CF, you'd need to remove a whole lot of packages from knoppix, or use a different distro like damn small linux. 1 Gb CF cards are real cheap now tho.
Here's a howto for knoppix on CF: http://staff.washington.edu/gray/KnoppixCFguide.html
-
Junior Member
registered user
Why is it so complex to get it to boot from a USB CF or drive?
Other distros just require a simple copy then making the CF card bootable.
Be nice to see a CF release for 1 GB cards.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well when you plop a CF card into a CF-IDE, then you basically have the equivalent of a solid state IDE drive. In fact, the IDE controller is included in the CF card, so the adaptor really just routes the pinouts and power supply appropriately.
To boot linux off a IDE drive, you have to load a boot loader like lilo or grub, since isolinux won't work for a HD, right? no diferent for CF.
-
There is a diference because my laptop bios doesn't recognize usb device for booting. And I don't have harddisk atached. I made the update from IBM (it is a thinkpad) and just like floopy usb and not other devices like usb harddrive or cf mount in a reader. I just find some help on forums and I must create a initrd image with these modules. Thanks any way. If is another suggestion please write on.
Similar Threads
-
By zeroboo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-22-2006, 06:48 AM
-
By cfuenzal in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-12-2006, 03:47 AM
-
By Muircheartach in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-04-2005, 12:50 AM
-
By sah in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 09:06 PM
-
By bigrobot in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-03-2004, 04:15 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Matched Pair _ Intel Xeon E5-2698 V4 2.2GHz 20-Core Processor CPU LGA2011 SR2JW
$94.99

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00