-
Knoppix 3.8.1 USB HD boot impossibe, but Ubuntu 5.0.4 works
Since 3.7, over 3.8 and 3.8.1 I try to install it bootable on an USB 2.0 harddrive to have a portable environment, but I am unsuccessful and need help. The condition: Dell D600 notebook, unpluged internal hd, external USB-2.0-hd 80GB 2,5", boot from DOS successful, boot from Ubuntu 5.0.4 with Debian kernel 2.6.10-5 and Grub successful, Knoppix maybe in the future, if somebody is able to help. What I have tried and happens: I booted Knoppix from CD and it looks like that 3.8.1 recognizes the hole hardware, I pluged in the USB-hd and some uba partitions appeared on the desktop (FAT32), I can read and write to them, I opend Qtparted and made a swap-partition in my extended partition and a primary ext3 for root in the free space, rebooted and all looks fine, than I have started "knoppix-installer" and installed it on the ext3 partition, all was installed successful on the USB-hd except the minirt.gz, it was unable to write it (filesize 0 Byte !), also the lilo cold not reach the MBR it was also not installed (why ever), all other files and directorys are successful writen. I have tryed to use the minirt.gz from the CD und start it with loadlin from DOS, also unsuccessful. Than a college sayed that I should use Ubuntu, I tryed it and it works with the instructions from http://ubuntuusers.de/wiki/installation:usb very well.
Maybe there is somebody who is able to explain me what I have to do, or give me a hint, to made a boot procedure adaption/installation for Knoppix 3.8.1 (because it recognizes my used hardware on all computers that I tried). I do not want a poor-man's-installation, because if it works I will install other software under Knoppix.
Thanx 4 any help/hint
Similar Threads
-
By smhall05 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-16-2008, 11:13 PM
-
By bluekylin in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM
-
By sunburnt in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-29-2005, 04:19 AM
-
By vega1970 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-02-2004, 11:41 AM
-
By pietromenna in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-21-2004, 01:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

LOT 10: Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD7Y 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server RAM
$1749.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99

Lot 300 Micron 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-21300 DDR4-2666V ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$9000.00

1x64GB Hynix HMAA8GL7MMR4N DDR4 PC4 2133P-LE0-11 4Rx4 ECC LRDIMM Server RAM
$320.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00