Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Advice on enabling ACPI in Knoppix

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Advice on enabling ACPI in Knoppix

    Hi;

    I just put Knoppix 3.1 on a brand new machine. When knoppix shuts down it does not shut the machine down. I would like it to. I think I may need to recompile the knoppix kernel to include acpi.

    I think this because:

    - lsmod|grep apm returns no messages

    - running insmod apm returns these errors:

    ------------------------------------------------
    Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o
    /lib/modules/2.4.20-xfs/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.o: init_module: No
    such device
    Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
    including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
    You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    ---------------------------------------------------

    lsmod | grep ACPI returns nothing

    There is no /proc/acpi



    Anyway, I think my machine can ACPI

    Motherboard:
    "Intel Desktop Board D845PESV"....this is also the name of the chipset.


    My bios has a menu for power features called "acpi" ( not apci )
    It had these options:

    silent boot - enabled
    intel rapid boot - enabled
    scan user flash area - enabled
    pxe boot to lan - disabled
    usb boot - enabled
    chasis intrusion - disabled.


    Am I correct in my understanding that Knoppix is not put together in the same way ( kernel wise ) as regular gnu/linux?

    I tried looking at some generic docs for recompiling kernels.

    executing make[config|xconfig|menuconfig] just produces an error message a
    " no rule to make target ( pick one of the previous 3 ) stop. I tried from /usr/src/linux

    Anyway, how do I recopile the Knoppix kernel so shutting off knoppix shuts down the machine? I would like to keep everything else about the kernel the same.

    Thank in advance for the info

    Steve

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    4
    Well, I don't know much about linux, or about ACPI for that matter, but I do know that, in my PC emulator, after logging out, it does shut down the emulator, rather than having to power it down manually. Also, I had tested an older version on a classroom computer, and it shut down properly too, however, I have yet to test this installed on the hard disk, so, my post here is probably useless, but maybe not.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    40
    the ACPI is not avalaible on the knopppix kernel ..
    klaus just told me that the kernel patch was crashing most of the coputer so he did not patch the kernel .. But wth the live cd the apm is loaded by default if your bios is compatible so .. have a look !! if not try /etc/init.d/apmd
    to start the apm sever

Similar Threads

  1. Enabling telnetd on Knoppix CD
    By acer0001 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 11:48 PM
  2. enabling 3d in knoppix 3.6 hd install
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2004, 01:11 AM
  3. Knoppix & ACPI
    By macguyvok in forum Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 07:47 PM
  4. Knoppix business-card version - need advice
    By stefan_tm in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:56 PM
  5. Knoppix/Debian Newbie - Partitioning Advice
    By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-24-2003, 06:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS picture

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS

$199.00



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99



HP PROLIANT  TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM picture

HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM

$195.00



Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS picture

Supermicro Superserver CSE-836 Xeon E5-2609 v4 1.7GHz No RAM No Drives No OS

$249.98



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS picture

SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS

$299.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset

$149.99