Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Error when installing Knoppix on HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22

    Error when installing Knoppix on HD

    I got Knoppix 3.2 Beta,

    When the installer copies the files to the harddisk I see , after 22% , in the process bar a message about an interrupt IRQ 7? And after 74% the screen goes black.

    The installation is still busy. After 3 or 4 minutes I hear a beep when I press a button on the keyboard I see on the screen that the installation is complete....

    Very weird installation , is this normal? Can someone help me?

    I don't get an IRQ error and a black screen when I am installing SuSE 8.0

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Error when installing Knoppix on HD

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogiin
    I got Knoppix 3.2 Beta,

    When the installer copies the files to the harddisk I see , after 22% , in the process bar a message about an interrupt IRQ 7? And after 74% the screen goes black.
    Not good- What is the date of the release? Some 3.2 releases had some install script bugs. What file system are you using? I know that there have been problems using xfs & reiser. ext3 should work fine though.

    The installation is still busy. After 3 or 4 minutes I hear a beep when I press a button on the keyboard I see on the screen that the installation is complete....

    Very weird installation , is this normal?
    No not at all normal.

    Can someone help me?
    When you boot the Knoppix cd does everything work OK?
    Look at dmesg and cat /proc/pci to check for any IRQ conflicts.
    I don't get an IRQ error and a black screen when I am installing SuSE 8.0[/quote]

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Yes , when I boot from cd everything works fine. I got version:

    Knoppix V3.2

    2003-03-28-beta (is this the latest version?)

    I use ext2 file system.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogiin
    Yes , when I boot from cd everything works fine. I got version:

    Knoppix V3.2

    2003-03-28-beta (is this the latest version?)
    No I believe 04-10 is the latest

    I use ext2 file system.
    That doesn't sound like the problem then. I would however reccomend using ext3 because it doesn't fragment. If you crash your system or shut down improperly you won't have to wait while fsck runs. With ext3 the file system is check every 30 mounts instead.

    I have never heard of anyone having a properly working system if during the install there were errors. I would try the latest release, make sure you check the md5 sum, and boot with 'testcd' cheat code just to be safe. Look in cat /proc/pci and dmesg to make sure there are no IRQ conflicts-of course make sure everthing works as usual and then I would reinstall. Probably not what you wanted to hear eh? At least installing doesn't take too long.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Thnx for your help

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Sure- anytime. Let us know if you get it fixed or if you need some more assistance.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    I tried Knoppix on my second computer. I don't see any IRQ error at the installation , but after a while the screen goes black. Two times , every 15 minutes I think , is this a screensaver or something? When I press a button on the keyboard everything is normal again...

    How can I turn off the screensaver and monitor energy
    settings?

    When I boot Knoppix from the harddisk , I see the IRQ error in the console. It is the same error I get on my other computer when I am installing Knoppix on the harddisk.

    One more question , the Knoppix installation is complete when the process bar is at 74 % , is this correct?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogiin
    I tried Knoppix on my second computer. I don't see any IRQ error at the installation , but after a while the screen goes black. Two times , every 15 minutes I think , is this a screensaver or something? When I press a button on the keyboard everything is normal again...
    How can I turn off the screensaver and monitor energy
    settings?
    Yep- sounds like a screen saver and your screen saver is set to "blank screen" Open the Control Center>Appearance>ScreenSaver to change it. PowerControl is also in the Control Center

    When I boot Knoppix from the harddisk , I see the IRQ error in the console. It is the same error I get on my other computer when I am installing Knoppix on the harddisk.
    What exactly do you mean "in the console" ? If you get the same error on two different machines (I assume they are not identical) I would suspect the cd. It is possible to have a functioning cd even though it isn't quite complete.

    One more question , the Knoppix installation is complete when the process bar is at 74 % , is this correct?
    No not normal at all. Given the number of problems you've had I would get the latest release, burn the .iso and try a new disc out. Make sure you check the md5sum and boot with 'knoppix testcd' just to be absolutley certain all is well.

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    With the console I mean the black screen with the white letters

    I am going to try the newest version. Maybe that will fix the little problems.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogiin
    With the console I mean the black screen with the white letters
    Well of course. What i mean is what did you enter in the console that gave you this information? As great of an OS as linux is unfortunately it isn't yet capable of reading minds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. error when installing
    By Gralfus in forum Klik
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 08:20 AM
  2. Error in installing 3.7
    By NDT_69 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 11:18 AM
  3. Installing KNOPPIX.V3.6 Boot error message
    By sala94 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
  4. error installing knoppix on hd
    By karplus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 11:30 AM
  5. error installing synaptic
    By riechert in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-03-2004, 10:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99