Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: internet not working in 3.8.1

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1

    internet not working in 3.8.1

    I have a motorola surfboard 5100 cable modem and I am not able to use the internet in version 3.8.1. In 3.6, using either kernel, the internet worked without me having to do anything. What can I do to fix this. Keep in mind that I am a newbie. I have tried looking in other topics, but usually couldn't understand what to do or I tried to do something suggested and couldn't. Is there anyone out there that can help me? By the way, it's hooked up via usb, because I have no ethernet.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: internet not working in 3.8.1

    Quote Originally Posted by spoop
    .... By the way, it's hooked up via usb, because I have no ethernet.
    From what I could learn of this modem on the Motorola site, it supports both USB and Ethernet. My suggestion, do yourself a big favor and get a very inexpensive ethernet NIC (frequently $5 or less, sometimes free after rebate) and put it in your computer. That and an also inexpensive ethernet cable (should be as little as $2.99 or less, although some stores try to rip the unknowing off for $19.99 or more on this item) will resolve many problems that you see with a USB interface to the broadband modem.

    An additional thing to do, particularly if you use that broadband connection with any version of Windows, is to get a very inexpensive DSL/Cable router. This will give you an extra level of hardware firewall (very important with Windows and growing in importance with Linux) and will provide a lot of extra utility. These can frequently be had for $10 or less after rebate (I posted about a $5 one that was available last Friday night, and I've even seen then free after rebate). They usually come with their own ethernet cable, so you usually don't even have to buy an additional ethernet cable (the only brand I know not to include an ethernet cable was my $100+ Linksys a few years back).

Similar Threads

  1. Just can't get internet connection working
    By rollo11 in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-22-2006, 12:28 AM
  2. Internet not working.
    By seantycho in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 09:02 PM
  3. Can't Get Internet Working
    By I7Iz490N in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:28 AM
  4. Internet not working with cable modem
    By kibkid in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 01:41 PM
  5. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-18-2003, 03:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99



Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good picture

Intel Core i7-7700 SR338 3.6GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 Kaby Lake CPU Processor - Good

$39.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00



AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800XT 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$179.99