Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to save Data on a Fat32 (winME) Hard drive

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34

    How to save Data on a Fat32 (winME) Hard drive

    Hi,
    can Knoppix 3.8.1 write files to a Fat32 formatted Hard drive? I have already saved 1 file to it, but in the following knoppix sessions it didn't work any more. You will look very stupid if you work a hour with openOffice and then can't save your work (to the hard disk). I temporarily saved the file in the ramdisk. Is there a special boot or mount option? I am running Knoppix from the Live-CD. The file I want to save is about 3 megs, so I can't use a floppy. I also tried to pack the file with ark, but the file was bigger than a floppy. Please, help me!
    Thanks, s-m-n

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    Come on, can really no one help me?

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    I haven't tried this with 3.8.1. yet. With older versions of Knoppix I had no problem writing to the FAT partition. Knoppix does default it to read-only, you have to make sure that you mount it as read/write, either from a shell with the mount command or by right clicking on the partition icon and selecting actions ... from the menu that pops up. I'm wondering if you'vecome across a problem with the new file system, but it does seem unlikely.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    Which commandline options are required for mounting with the shell? I'm going to try the way you described immediately.
    Thanks, s-m-n

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    34
    Hi,
    man, you're really great. It worked fine. So I did it:

    1. Booting Knoppix
    2. Right-click on the hda1 partition icon on the desktop
    3. selected "actions..." from the menu that pops up
    4. click on the entry "Change read/write mode" or so.

    Now I can work with Knoppix almost like with Windows.
    Thanks again, Greetings from Germany
    s-m-n

Similar Threads

  1. Please help.. USB Hard Drive .. need to recover data
    By Chris2222 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
  2. I can not save the file on either my hard drive or usb devic
    By buddhainside in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 08:46 PM
  3. Hard drive / data recovery / force show drive
    By Lintu in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2005, 06:13 PM
  4. help getting data off of a hard drive...
    By thebyrd in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2004, 10:18 AM
  5. knoppix noob how can i save files to hard drive?
    By santaklaws in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-06-2003, 06:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00