For what it's worth, uname -r reports 2.6.11, Would it help to see the size and timestamp?
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1519285 Mar 20 15:11 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11
-- Ed
The Knoppix 3.8 from LinuxTag contains 2.6.11-rc3 according to the information on heise.de.
I have strong indications that on Knoppix 3.8.1 it still is 2.6.11-rc3 and not the 'real' 2.6.11.
I have a problem with a libusb based program with the same symptoms (usb_bulk_write fails
with ENODEV) as a kernel bug present between 2.6.11-rc1 and 2.6.11-rc5 when I run my
program under Knoppix 3.8.1.
When I try with the 'real' 2.6.11 kernel my program works.
Can anybody confirm that the kernel on Knoppix 3.8.1 is 2.6.11-rc3?
For what it's worth, uname -r reports 2.6.11, Would it help to see the size and timestamp?
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1519285 Mar 20 15:11 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11
-- Ed
I did some more investigations on the kernel version on the 3.8.1 CD.
The kernel identifies itself as (uname -a output):
Linux Knoppix 2.6.11 #8 SMP Sun Mar 20 21:09:51 CET 2005 i686 GNU/Linux
The kernel is part of a custom version of the Debian kernel-image-2.6.11 package.
The first Debian version of kernel-source-2.6.11 is later: 2005-03-21. So probably Klaus (?) used
the kernel source directly with Knoppix specific patches included.
The Knoppix 3.8/Cebit 2005 version was based on 2.6.11-rc3 according to the article (in German)
on www.heise.de/ct.
My guess is that we still have the same version in 3.8.1.
My problem with usb_bulk_write in libusb was introduced with kernel Changeset 1.1938.455.15 on 2004-11-27
and solved with Changeset 1.1982.126.8 on 2005-02-25. See the kernel Bitkeeper logs on
linux.bkbits.net. This corresponds to 2.6.11-rc1 to 2.6.11-rc5 inclusive.
So my question remains:
Can anybody confirm that the 2.6.11 kernel of Knoppix 3.8.1 is derived from one of the 2.6.11-rcx versions?
This is from a recent apt-get kernel-source-2.6.11
[kernel-source-2.6.11]# cat version.Debian
2.6.11-3
[kernel-source-2.6.11]#
Do you believe what you read?
BillS
I got kernel-source-2.6.11 myself.
The kernel on the Knoppix CD is a custom kernel made with kernel-package.
When the 3.8 (Cebit 2005) version was released it was based on 2.6.11-rc3 (version from
www.kernel.org). I am pretty sure it has not changed for 3.8.1. If I use kernel-image-2.6.11
mu libusb problem goes away.

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90
Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.50
Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram
$960.00
Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6
$210.00
USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09
USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75
Micron 64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LE2-11 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G3B2MG DDR4 Server RAM KD313
$249.98
128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00
Samsung 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Registered Server RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q
$144.95
TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98