-
Using Knoppix to send mail externally from a script?
Hello
Using Knoppix 3.8.1 I would like to use a script to email my ISP when a particular event occurs. I am having trouble doing this.
I thought I would use mutt in command line mode, and that would invoke smail (which is running as a daemon), but I think I have something wrong in some set up somewhere - I hoped to use smail to talk with my ISPs smtp server - but it just does not work. (I used smailconfig --force to set it up - but confess may have got something wrong). If I telnet directly to port 25 on Knoppix (proferred by smail), and after the HELO business, do a MAIL FROM: - it fails as the sender is not OK - it cannot seem to resolve the (MAIL FROM) email address. I presume this must be some set up issue in my networking - but I can surf the internet and I can telnet directly to my ISPs smtp server and successfully send an email.
Anyone got any ideas. I am not particularly bothered with how I get it to work - I just want to be able to use a shell script to send an email (with binary attachments) using my isp efficiently (it has to work quickly as it needs to send many images, before the power gets switched off - so no invoking a big interpreter with a long start up time please).
Ta
eccythump
-
Ahh solved it for when using smail:
My problem was, indeed, in my network setup. When I originally set up the network (using netcardconfig) I foolishly gave the IP address of the router as both my gateway and DNS server (I think this was how it wanted it in Windows.....). This made things fail when it was trying to resolve some email addresses. Popping in the IP addresses of the DNS servers as given by my ISP helped.
Then it was simply (OK - it took me a few tries with the wrong stuff too) using smailconfig --force, option 3, and specifying my email address name (not the bit before the @) as the visible mail name of my system and then the host smtp server next - and then things started working.
Now I am not saying this is 100% correct - but the mail gets through.
Hope that helps anyone in a similar position.
eccythump
Similar Threads
-
By sdk in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-31-2005, 02:34 PM
-
By chanio in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-04-2005, 01:41 AM
-
By sourabh in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 07:55 AM
-
By Nightmare in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-26-2005, 06:35 PM
-
By eadz in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-02-2003, 05:31 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$70.00

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card
$26.21

NOB VINTAGE Earthlink MailStation Standard 120 - Email Appliance
$29.99