Most of what you are looking for should be here.
Cloop HDD install, mini-cloops, & MAC addresses?
Is it possible to just copy the CD to the HDD rather than installing it?
This would be for a lock-down type app. corp desktop, internet cafe, library, school, etc.
What I'm after is to create 4 partitions on a blank drive:
[700MB] Knoppix CD
[128MB] Swap
[32-128MB] Home(s)
[rest] unused/NFS
I want to use the raw compressed drive, just on a HDD not the CD. The reasoning is that it's read-only which in this case is a good thing. I want it to act just like the CD-Rom install--Use persistant home for saved files, etc. The idea being for support, you just recopy the compressed folder & backup only the smaller home files!
Another question I have:
Would it be possible to "Chain" cloop-ed folders together? Again, to remaster w/o remastering. If this could work all you would have to do is short the CD 50-100 MB then add in your custom part! Two reasons for this are I simply don't have the skills to install/edit/remaster yet, & I'd like the extra part to be as portable as possible to the next knoppix CD w/o redoing all the work. Ideally, this could extend to the whole thing! Start with the smallest useable 185MB disc and just add packages to the larger disk. hey, it's a thought...
Last thing:
Could there be a addition to the persistant home to check against the MAC address/DHCP for configuration? This would allow you to have config saves for each PC/network you regularly access. One for work with just quick news stuff, one for home with all your goodies, and one for taking to friends, lan parties, etc. Then you could configure it for specific needs: be producive at work/hide the porn/etc..
Most of what you are looking for should be here.
Hi Stephen,
I have a similar need (or idea), and the closest match in the Wiki is "Run Microsoft Windows, copy Knoppix to HD & make it bootable with bootfloppy"
That is, with minimal change to a Windows PC, be able to boot Knoppix, but have HDD performance.
But I don't like needing a boot floppy.
So why not make the Knoppix CD able to do the original boot - which just means changing the search order in the linuxrc script, to look at the hard drives before the cdrom?
Even better, add some script to check that the /knoppix/knoppix file found on the HDD is the same size and date (and same checksum on first few blocks?) as the one on the boot CDROM - and only boot from the hard disk if it matches.
The result: the installation cdrom is also the boot device, and the hard drive acts as a cache for the cloop knoppix file.
Thoughts?
I would love the ability to mount multiple cloop filesystems, as that would allow me to drop some cloops of my favorite games onto a DVD along with the Knoppix filesystems without remastering the Knoppix image. (Esp. since I've seen references to extra-large cloop filesystems taking a performance hit - Anyone know where I can find more info on that?)
Maybe check out Morphix?
www.morphix.org
rock
Knopp on DVD (a lot of soft , a lot of modules a lot of all ....)
Was trying to figure out how they did it. I got some helpful hints in their forums. Multi-game DVD, here I come!Originally Posted by RockMumbles
(If I can convince my cloop creation programs to not barf on 3.3gig input images.)
You're welcome
In other news, i've just made a .deb -> minimodule converter script, pretty slick, loads fast on booting, giving you the possibility to add a list of .deb's to any of the main modules. Might have to boost the number of cloop modules to 8, as you might imagine a security+filerecovery+console combo, making the 4 cloopimage limit a bit slim. Hmm, oh well, keeping myself busy like usual![]()

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$298.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance
$20.25
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99