Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Knoppix does not detect my hardware

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9

    Knoppix does not detect my hardware

    Hi there. My Knoppix seems not to detect my sound (possibly video) hardware.

    I have an ASUS P4800-V motherboard with incorporated video and sound. I'm a total newbie to both Linux and Knoppix, so if there's someone out there to help?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    the topic subtitle is
    Problems with hardware not being detected or supported.
    Please post a full output of "lspci -v" if your hardware is not detected, and all relevant information about your hardware
    usa.asus.com doesn't (quickly) show a P4800-V
    is it a P4P800-VM ? all the P4P800-variants use different main chipsets

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9
    ok so it's a P4R800-V

    It can display a 1024x768 resolution, but full screen does not work in graphical programs and there is no sound.


    I also tested Knoppix on a diferent system, this time detecting all the hardware, only sound was outputed to "Line-In" instead of "Speaker out". It's a little annoying to switch plugs every time you have to use Knoppix. So is there a way to divert the datastream to a diferent plug (from either Knoppix or Windows-2000/98 ).

    Problems with hardware not being detected or supported.
    Please post a full output of "lspci -v" if your hardware is not detected, and all relevant information about your hardware
    How do I do that?

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    if you are on a x-desktop, you need the black computer screen next to the house of the task bar
    or ctl-alt-1/2/3/4

    login in to the command prompt
    and type in
    lspci
    after you see what it does, do
    lspci -v > ls.log

    then you can post the contents of ls.log

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    hate to be a pain
    is it the p4r800-vm or p4r800-v deluxe ?

    http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock...v/overview.htm

    running kxconfig
    oh sorry, newby,....
    black command prompt screen (ctl-alt-4)
    su
    [root user password]
    kxconfig
    you should get an idea from the lspci as to which video card to use.
    there is ATI and Radeon in four variations. try each one and see which works best.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9
    Here's the output:

    0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5833 (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8107
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64
    Memory at c0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Memory at d8008000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5838 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=32
    I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000bfff
    Memory behind bridge: d4000000-d5ffffff
    Prefetchable memory behind bridge: d0000000-d3ffffff

    0000:00:0d.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter (rev 13)
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 811a
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
    Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    I/O ports at c400 [size=256]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4347 (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8108
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
    Memory at d8004000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

    0000:00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4348 (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8108
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
    Memory at d8005000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]

    0000:00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4345 (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8108
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 19
    Memory at d8006000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc ATI SMBus (rev 1
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8108
    Flags: 66MHz, medium devsel
    I/O ports at c000 [size=16]
    Memory at d8007000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]

    0000:00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4349 (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8108
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    I/O ports at f000 [size=16]

    0000:00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 434c
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8108
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0

    0000:00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4342 (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
    Flags: bus master, VGA palette snoop, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64
    Bus: primary=00, secondary=02, subordinate=02, sec-latency=32
    I/O behind bridge: 00009000-0000bfff
    Memory behind bridge: d7000000-d7ffffff

    0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP150 AC'97 Audio Controller
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 810d
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
    Memory at d8009000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

    0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5834 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8107
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
    Memory at d5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    0000:02:0a.0 RAID bus controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]: Unknown device 0180 (prog-if 85)
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8112
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 128, IRQ 18
    I/O ports at 9000 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 9400 [size=4]
    I/O ports at 9800 [size=8]
    I/O ports at 9c00 [size=4]
    I/O ports at a000 [size=16]
    I/O ports at <unassigned>
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=64K]

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP150 AC'97 Audio Controller
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 810d
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 17
    Memory at d8009000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]

    0000:01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 5834 (prog-if 00 [VGA])
    Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8107
    Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
    Memory at d0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
    I/O ports at b000 [size=256]
    Memory at d5000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
    Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled] [size=128K]
    Capabilities: <available only to root>
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ght=sound+ac97

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9
    Please, can you guide me through this? What is alsaconf?

    And concerning the other computer, with the audio output thing. How do I change it so that it remains the same under both Linux and Windows? In Windows it outputs to "spk-out", from Knoppix Linux to "line in"

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    264
    sorry, that's it for me.
    I don't have any onboard AC97 to test with, and I'm not a 'great' linux user.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting Knoppix to fully auto detect all my hardware
    By jwg in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 03:32 PM
  2. Need Knoppix to detect my HD...
    By Bluebones in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 12:47 PM
  3. Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot
    By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
  4. Knoppix can't detect my BJC-1000sp
    By openk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 12:33 PM
  5. Knoppix Auto Hardware Detect Installation
    By Dial-IN in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-26-2002, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98% picture

Samsung SSD, v-nand,860 EVO, 500gb, model MZ-76E500, SATA III, Health 90-98%

$50.00



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Micron 1100 256GB 2.5

Micron 1100 256GB 2.5" SATA III SSD MTFDDAK256TBN-1AR1ZABHA Tested & Wiped

$25.00



128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia picture

128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia

$16.59



KingSpec SSD 2.5

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac

$60.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00