Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New problems when compiling under 3.8.1

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111

    New problems when compiling under 3.8.1

    Under an earlier version of knoppix (3.4) I was able
    to compile a webcam driver without errors.

    Now under knoppix 3.8.1 liveCD, I had errors and
    discovered that knoppix 3.8.1 does not contain the
    necessary header files in the directory
    /lib/modules/2.6.11/build/include/linux (The
    corresponding directory did indeed contain the
    required header files in 3.4)

    So I downloaded the kernel source for 3.8.1 and
    untarred it into /usr/src/2.6.11, which is where the
    symbolic link /lib/modules/2.6.11/build points to.
    (This is only possible now with UNIONFS, which is the
    only reason I'm upgrading to 3.8)

    I was hoping (guessing) that this would fix the
    problem of missing header files, however now I am
    getting a slew of error messages (from
    /lib/modules/2.6.11/build/include/linux/kernel.h)
    like:
    error: parse error before "size_t"
    warning: function declaration isn't a prototype
    warning: conflicting types for built-in function
    `snprintf'

    Apparently this liveCD is not completely configured
    for compiling certain source code, since these errors
    did not come up in v3.4.

    What do I need to do to prepare the 3.8.1 environment
    for compiling?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    These errors might point to using a later version of GCC than the one intended to compile the source. This is because the later GCC gets, the more ansi compliant it gets and the more it complains about bad coding. Such is life.

    Now, I don't have 3.8.1, but if

    locate gcc

    reveals more than one version of gcc, you might try either setting the environment variable to the earlier one or setting thee symbolic link to point to the earlier version. I can't remember how to do the former, but the latter is a symlink in /usr/bin/ which points (by default) to the later version (in my case 3.3 -- the old one is 2.95 -- but I'm using a HD install of 3.6).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    well even though the older knoppix v3.4 included gcc 2.95, /usr/bin/gcc was a link to gcc 3.3.3, although gcc 2.95 was included in the distro.

    the gcc in knoppix 3.8.1 points to gcc 3.3.5. Also 3.8.1 does not include gcc-2.95 in the distro.

    Since both knoppix versions 3.3 and 3.8 seem to be using gcc 3.3.x, I don't think that is the issue, right?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    Anyone?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    8
    No sorry, but I'm having similar issues trying to install drivers for a USB 54g dongle.

    I've also downloaded the latest stable kernel from www.kernel.org and attempted to compile that with similar errors

    I have to be honest that I'm confused about the differences between the kernel-headers, kernel-kbuild, kernel-source and kernel-tree that are available in the Debian packages.

    You could try
    Code:
    apt-get install kernel-kbuild-2.6-3
    it didn't work for me though

    Just noticed that 3.8.2 has been released http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02640#0 I will be trying that later today.

Similar Threads

  1. Compiling?
    By Jameson in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
  2. Compiling
    By Kowood in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 10:44 AM
  3. problems compiling cloop with kernel 2.6.7
    By covici in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2004, 05:58 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.4 compiling problems cpp
    By Frost in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 08:59 PM
  5. Problems compiling hwsetup from source
    By Fang in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 05:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$199.99



128gb DDR4 Ram Hpyerx HX430C15PB3K8/128 16x8 3000 MHZ CL15 Tested Read DESC picture

128gb DDR4 Ram Hpyerx HX430C15PB3K8/128 16x8 3000 MHZ CL15 Tested Read DESC

$300.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



TEAMGROUP Elite 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz DIMM Desktop Memory RAM picture

TEAMGROUP Elite 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200MHz DIMM Desktop Memory RAM

$390.00



Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin BL2K8G32C16U4B picture

Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin BL2K8G32C16U4B

$69.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Team T-Force Delta RGB 32GB PC RAM DDR5 6400 picture

Team T-Force Delta RGB 32GB PC RAM DDR5 6400

$530.00



Kingston 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM Non-ECC Unbuffered picture

Kingston 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM Non-ECC Unbuffered

$239.00