Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Internet connection missing on reboot.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15

    Internet connection missing on reboot.

    Everytime that I reboot (Windows hangover, spare me the flames), I have to reconfigure my network card. It's easy - three clicks and you're there. It's also irritating and un-Linux like. How can I get the network config to be up & running after a reboot?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15
    Sympathy bump

    Any ideas? Anybody?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    205
    The problem isn't a lack of ideas, it's too many of them! We don't know anything about your setup, so we could suggest just about anything - like, install Debian sarge and everything should be just fine!

    What did you install, and how, and what is it you do that makes the net ... work?

    -- Ed

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I have had problems with the startup script /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig shutting down the ethernet card then not being able to restart it, this might be what is happening here.

    see this post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14325

    The workaround is to edit knoppix-hd-autoconfig so it doesn't fiddle with eth0.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15
    Aaah, a little light goes on

    Ok, I've installed Knoppix 3.7 with the 2.4.27 kernel on my harddisk. I initially booted with the live cd and ran the install script from there. With the live cd, there was no problem with the network connection. However, now that it's installed on my HDD, I must configure the network card manually everytime I reboot. I do this by running /usr/sbin/netcardconfig, which is on the KNOPPIX menu. And that's it - snip snip, Bob's yer aunt.

    Hth, mr_ed. Looking forward to reading some of your ideas

    CrashedAgain, I've had a look at knoppix-hd-config and it says this about the network:

    Code:
    SCRIPTS=""
    STARTNET=""
    STARTPPP=""
    STARTPCMCIA=""
    STARTCUPS=""
    
    while read i; do
    case "$i" in
    */etc/network/interfaces) STARTNET="yes";;
    */etc/pcmcia/*) STARTPCMCIA="yes";;
    */etc/cups*) STARTCUPS="yes";;
    esac
    done <"$TMP"
    
    [ -x /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot ] && STARTPPP="yes";
    
    if [ -n "$STARTNET" ]
    then
            echo "ESC[1;33m(Re)starting network services.ESC[0m"
            killall pump 2>/dev/null && sleep 2 && killall -9 pump 2>/dev/null && sl
    eep 2
            SCRIPTS="$SCRIPTS ifupdown networking"
    fi
    There's some more, but this seems to be the relevant part. Unfortunately I know sweet blue buggerall about scripts and scripting. I'd be much obliged if you could tell me what to try next.

    Thanks
    Joe[/quote]

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15
    *bumpity*

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    15
    Thanks very much, mate. Much appreciated.

    Cheers
    Joe

Similar Threads

  1. I can't get a connection to Internet
    By Jorge Martínez in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 11:27 PM
  2. need help with my internet connection plz!
    By d_e_c_e in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 02:00 PM
  3. Internet connection Help
    By compgeek in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 10:52 PM
  4. No Internet connection
    By zombie3000 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 04:35 AM
  5. internet connection
    By Tine in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 05:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.98