Sympathy bump
Any ideas? Anybody?
Everytime that I reboot (Windows hangover, spare me the flames), I have to reconfigure my network card. It's easy - three clicks and you're there. It's also irritating and un-Linux like. How can I get the network config to be up & running after a reboot?
Sympathy bump
Any ideas? Anybody?
The problem isn't a lack of ideas, it's too many of them! We don't know anything about your setup, so we could suggest just about anything - like, install Debian sarge and everything should be just fine!
What did you install, and how, and what is it you do that makes the net ... work?
-- Ed
I have had problems with the startup script /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig shutting down the ethernet card then not being able to restart it, this might be what is happening here.
see this post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14325
The workaround is to edit knoppix-hd-autoconfig so it doesn't fiddle with eth0.
Aaah, a little light goes on
Ok, I've installed Knoppix 3.7 with the 2.4.27 kernel on my harddisk. I initially booted with the live cd and ran the install script from there. With the live cd, there was no problem with the network connection. However, now that it's installed on my HDD, I must configure the network card manually everytime I reboot. I do this by running /usr/sbin/netcardconfig, which is on the KNOPPIX menu. And that's it - snip snip, Bob's yer aunt.
Hth, mr_ed. Looking forward to reading some of your ideas
CrashedAgain, I've had a look at knoppix-hd-config and it says this about the network:
There's some more, but this seems to be the relevant part. Unfortunately I know sweet blue buggerall about scripts and scripting. I'd be much obliged if you could tell me what to try next.Code:SCRIPTS="" STARTNET="" STARTPPP="" STARTPCMCIA="" STARTCUPS="" while read i; do case "$i" in */etc/network/interfaces) STARTNET="yes";; */etc/pcmcia/*) STARTPCMCIA="yes";; */etc/cups*) STARTCUPS="yes";; esac done <"$TMP" [ -x /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot ] && STARTPPP="yes"; if [ -n "$STARTNET" ] then echo "ESC[1;33m(Re)starting network services.ESC[0m" killall pump 2>/dev/null && sleep 2 && killall -9 pump 2>/dev/null && sl eep 2 SCRIPTS="$SCRIPTS ifupdown networking" fi
Thanks
Joe[/quote]
*bumpity*
Had same problem. See This post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...818&highlight=
Thanks very much, mate. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Joe

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98
Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00
Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99
Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00
Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49
Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48
Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54
Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99
DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00
HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00