Sympathy bump
Any ideas? Anybody?
Everytime that I reboot (Windows hangover, spare me the flames), I have to reconfigure my network card. It's easy - three clicks and you're there. It's also irritating and un-Linux like. How can I get the network config to be up & running after a reboot?
Sympathy bump
Any ideas? Anybody?
The problem isn't a lack of ideas, it's too many of them! We don't know anything about your setup, so we could suggest just about anything - like, install Debian sarge and everything should be just fine!
What did you install, and how, and what is it you do that makes the net ... work?
-- Ed
I have had problems with the startup script /etc/init.d/knoppix-hd-autoconfig shutting down the ethernet card then not being able to restart it, this might be what is happening here.
see this post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14325
The workaround is to edit knoppix-hd-autoconfig so it doesn't fiddle with eth0.
Aaah, a little light goes on
Ok, I've installed Knoppix 3.7 with the 2.4.27 kernel on my harddisk. I initially booted with the live cd and ran the install script from there. With the live cd, there was no problem with the network connection. However, now that it's installed on my HDD, I must configure the network card manually everytime I reboot. I do this by running /usr/sbin/netcardconfig, which is on the KNOPPIX menu. And that's it - snip snip, Bob's yer aunt.
Hth, mr_ed. Looking forward to reading some of your ideas
CrashedAgain, I've had a look at knoppix-hd-config and it says this about the network:
There's some more, but this seems to be the relevant part. Unfortunately I know sweet blue buggerall about scripts and scripting. I'd be much obliged if you could tell me what to try next.Code:SCRIPTS="" STARTNET="" STARTPPP="" STARTPCMCIA="" STARTCUPS="" while read i; do case "$i" in */etc/network/interfaces) STARTNET="yes";; */etc/pcmcia/*) STARTPCMCIA="yes";; */etc/cups*) STARTCUPS="yes";; esac done <"$TMP" [ -x /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot ] && STARTPPP="yes"; if [ -n "$STARTNET" ] then echo "ESC[1;33m(Re)starting network services.ESC[0m" killall pump 2>/dev/null && sleep 2 && killall -9 pump 2>/dev/null && sl eep 2 SCRIPTS="$SCRIPTS ifupdown networking" fi
Thanks
Joe[/quote]
*bumpity*
Had same problem. See This post:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...818&highlight=
Thanks very much, mate. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Joe

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00
OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD
$199.95
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$219.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware
$89.99