Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 3.8.1 - USB Cable Modem Connectivity Solution

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2

    Knoppix 3.8.1 - USB Cable Modem Connectivity Solution

    Hi all,

    I've read some posts on this forum about internet connection problems when trying to use a USB Cable Modem with Knoppix 3.8.1. I have been having similar problems, but have found a solution that works for me.

    I had no problems with my connection when I was using Knoppix 3.7 (using either the 2.4 or 2.6 kernels) but could not connect when using Knoppix 3.8.1. What I found was that Knoppix 3.7 detected an ethernet device (eth0) whereas Knoppix 3.8.1 did not. I don't understand a great deal about hardware detection in initialisation of Knoppix, so I don't know why this is.

    Under Knoppix 3.8.1 I ran the PPPOE connection wizard from KNOPPIX -> Network/Internet in KDE, which stated that no ethernet devices could be found and I should run the modconf script. Here, I added the module "usbnet" from the /kernel/drivers/usb/net catagory. eth0 was then detected by Knoppix, and it ran same automatic tests which ended up in providing a brief error message. I suspected at this stage that a DHCP broadcast would be necessary in order to grab an IP for my USB modem. Running KNOPPIX -> Network/Internet -> Network card configuration provided an option to do a USB broadcast on eth0. After doing this, I had a working connection (this post under Knoppix 3.8.1 being the proof! ).

    I hope that's of some use to users who have had trouble. If anyone can suggest a more elegant way of doing this (via a cheat code?) during initialisation then that would be of interest to me!

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    knoppix 3.8.1 cable modem problem

    yes i have same problem and i tried to connect to the internet ethernet connection and usb connection same cable modem it did not work please help!!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    thank you collpits

    yes i made the connection with usb cable modem

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix and USB cable modem
    By rpope904 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2006, 10:25 AM
  2. Broadband USB modem connectivity problems HELP
    By Bustamite in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-18-2005, 09:42 PM
  3. how do i use my cable modem with knoppix or how to install
    By illcuban in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-20-2003, 02:45 AM
  4. Cable Modem Install for Knoppix
    By SniperNeo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
  5. Knoppix (Debian) pppoeconf and cable modem
    By guest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-30-2002, 06:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)

$310.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM picture

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM

$99.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Genuine Samsung MLT-D205L Black Toner Cartridge 205L picture

Genuine Samsung MLT-D205L Black Toner Cartridge 205L

$60.00