-
Fatal error on boot up
I'm trying to eliminate errors in my boot. This is one I thought I had "fixed" by uninstalling all the APM programs I could find. I don't need power management on my desktop! Anyway, here is the error I get
snip
Apr 24 08:36:59 Knoppix anacron[3382]: Normal exit (1 job run)
Apr 24 08:45:13 Knoppix kernel: apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version 1.16ac)
Apr 24 08:45:13 Knoppix kernel: apm: overridden by ACPI.
Apr 24 08:45:13 Knoppix modprobe:
FATAL: Error inserting apm (/lib/modules/2.6.7/kernel/arch/i386/kernel/apm.ko): No such device
Apr 24 08:45:13 Knoppix kernel: mtrr: 0xd8000000,0x8000000 overlaps existing 0xd8000000,0x200000
Apr 24 08:45:15 Knoppix gconfd (gary-3830): Received signal 15, shutting down cleanly
Apr 24 08:45:15 Knoppix gconfd (gary-3830): Exiting
Apr 24 08:45:15 Knoppix init: Switching to runlevel: 6
snip
Any ideas?
Thanks
GMD
-
Senior Member
registered user
kompile a new kernel without APM support, should fix the problem.
by the way, if you remove power managment you wil not be able to shut your computer of completly without, manually, "pulling the plug".
it is APM or acpi that lets the OS shut things of automaticy.
on some systems you can just hold powerbutton presses for 3 - 10s, when the powerof line shows up on screen, to shut down.
-

Originally Posted by
OErjan
kompile a new kernel without APM support, should fix the problem.
by the way, if you remove power managment you wil not be able to shut your computer of completly without, manually, "pulling the plug".
it is APM or acpi that lets the OS shut things of automaticy.
on some systems you can just hold powerbutton presses for 3 - 10s, when the powerof line shows up on screen, to shut down.
Total system shutdown seems to be working OK at this time, and I've never "Kompiled" anything (not sure I want to
). If I leave everything as is - any harm?
I also catch a fast flash of a error that does not show up in syslog. It states something like
modprobe fatal error installing rtc (something something something) file does not exist
or something like that. Any ideas on this one?
Thanks
GMD
Similar Threads
-
By nicoDVD2 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-23-2008, 07:17 PM
-
By bart_999 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-27-2006, 01:20 PM
-
By DougE in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-11-2004, 03:19 AM
-
By toxic_d in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2004, 03:22 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount
$489.99

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99