Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Application

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37

    Application

    Dear Friends:
    Please be patient with me on this as I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to do anything with Linux except browse the web and look at the files already on my computer and my network. I am very frustrated with this.

    I have an application called Linrad which I downloaded through Windows on another machine, and then moved into this machine. I have the following files:
    linrad-01-01.i586.rpm
    linrad.deb
    lir01-33.tar
    These files are all in the Home/w5uc/tmp folder.
    The original file that I downloaded was a .tbz file. Somehow over a period of about a week I managed to get the other three files out of the original, but I'm not sure how I did it. I may have downloaded one of these files from another location, but I'm not sure of anything anymore.
    Very simply, I want to run this application, and have worked my fat old fanny off attempting to do so. Can someone please tell me how to run this application? If it can be done, I want to put an Icon on the desktop that I can click and run this application.

    The OS is Knoppix 3.7, full install.

    Thanks,
    Mike

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Mike,

    I have no experience with installing Linux apps, so I'm not going to be able to provide any answers there.

    I'm not clear on what Linrad will need since it seems to use different drivers for different sound cards, but you might ask Probono in the Klik forum if he can make a kilkable version. If he can make a klik package that deals with the driver issue, feel free to tell him there are at least two people who would like to play with a klikable version of the program.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    OK, we should start with Linrad.deb.

    The .deb means it was packaged for Debian (of which Knoppix is a variety). Just put it somewhere -- your user directory is fine.

    Next, right click on it, Open With and type KPackage. You'll be asked for the root password. Just tell it you want it to install.

    Alternatively, snap open a Konsole (the little TV icon at bottom left), type:

    su
    (prompt for root password)
    dpkg -i (name of package.deb)

    if you're very lucky, all the dependencies will have been met. If not, you'll have to satisfy them first. Fear not, KPackage or dpkg will list any missing dependencies. Just (su to root again) do:

    apt-get update && apt-get install (package1 package2 package3 and so on)

    of course, you won't put the brackets. and you need to be connected to the internet. Just copy and paste the dependencies exactly as dpkg calls them.

    When all that's done (generally it's the apt-get update that takes the time: Knoppix comes with an overly long sources.list) you can run dpkg again on Linrad.

    Of course, all this supposes you have a HD install: if not, you must use Klik.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    Harry Thanks:

    I will go off and investigate that. I don't want to alienate the hard core Linux folks, but at this point, I really don't have an interest in becoming a Linux expert.
    I tried 3 other distributions, and concluded that Knoppix was by far the most complete and user friendly distro, AND, it was the only one that recognized my old ISA sound card. My primary goal is to get Linrad rrunning so I can try to get rid of some of this line noise on 2 meters.

    Many Thanks,
    Mike

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    fingers99, thanks a bunch. I will go try than in a bit. I need to stop to do a Honey-do. My wife is on a gardening project and I got drafted to help break up the soil. BRB

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by w5uc
    I will go off and investigate that.
    I would also suggest folowing the instructions that fingers99 posted. I could well be that because of the need for this program to interface at a driver level it will not be a simple klikable application. Please post back whatever you end up doing. I'm too busy with other projects at the moment to try getting this working too, but when I get time I would like to try working with this.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    Ok, my dirt digging chore is completed. I forgot to mention, I do have a HDD install. Dual booting with Win ME on a 20 gig HDD. I'm off to try it. Report to follow.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    Ok,first hurdle. I put it in a directory that I created under home called Download. When I tried to use KPacksge it said Can not find the program KPackage

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    I found a directory called usr but not user. It wouldn't let me put it in usr

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    Well, I did something. Rather than type in KPackac\ge, i browsed fior it, and that worked. I finally got to the install part and it did a buncha stuff and then said:
    setting up linrad(01-02)...
    RESULT=0

    And is now doing nothing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help running application please
    By sav.singh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 09:52 AM
  2. Error while trying to run any application
    By MethodOne in forum Klik
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM
  3. How to run an application at bootup??
    By vijirin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 07:04 AM
  4. How do you remove an application?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 10:45 AM
  5. Application autorun
    By sparks40 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 01:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$184.99



SGIN 17.3

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD

$229.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused

$395.95



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14S Gen 1 8-Core Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U 512GB SSD 16GB RAM FAIR BATT

$225.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98