Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Application

  1. #21
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    Yuck Yuck... getting old & blind...

  2. #22
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    w5uc@SHOP:~$ dpkg -i linrad.deb
    dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege
    w5uc@SHOP:~$

    I'm dang sure not one of those.. Ha Ha

  3. #23
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    It looks like something, not bad happened here;

    root@SHOP:/home/w5uc# dpkg -i linrad.deb
    dpkg: error processing linrad.deb (--install):
    cannot access archive: No such file or directory
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    linrad.deb
    root@SHOP:/home/w5uc# cd..
    bash: cd..: command not found
    root@SHOP:/home/w5uc# cd
    root@SHOP:~# cd /home/w5uc/tmp
    root@SHOP:/home/w5uc/tmp# dpkg -i linrad.deb
    (Reading database ... 109877 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace linrad 01-2 (using linrad.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement linrad ...
    Setting up linrad (01-2) ...
    root@SHOP:/home/w5uc/tmp#

    It appears that it may be installed, so how do i run it?

  4. #24
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Yes, looks like it's there.

    First, try

    linrad

    Which may or may not work. If it doesn't work as yourself, try it as root (this isn't a good thing to do routinely, but may be necessary: it looks like the .deb was converted using alien which can do strange things to permissions).

    If neither work, or generate useful error messages, try this:

    su
    (small s!)
    (you'll be asked to enter root password -- do so)
    updatedb (go and make a cup of coffee)

    then

    whereis linrad

    (it should splurge out a list of things called linrad --- you see, it could be that it hasn't installed it anywhere sensible -- could be in your /tmp or /home directory) by trial and error (and by giving the full path, say /home/w5uc/tmp/linrad/linrad or by cding to where it is and doing ./linrad -- which, essentially, says to bash "don't bother looking in path, execute the damn thing in the present working directory") you might be able to get it going.

    If you want to look for it graphically, then executables in Kde have icons which resemble gear teeth, while scripts have icons which look like TV screens. It could be either, but I'd guess it's a gear wheel.

    Usually there's a man page which may be of help:

    man linrad

    should bring it up.

  5. #25
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    fingers99, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your patience and effort. You have done more in this short time than numerous have in the past. Mama has me cooking some old dead cow right now, but I will do a search shortly.

    Many thanks
    Mike

  6. #26
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    Well, after a great deal of hope it looks like we have struck out. I have searched and can not find it. I will continue the search. I did find a wheel named linrad, but it apparently contains nothing and will not launch the oprogram.

  7. #27
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    No, it is an executable containing 490.9 KB od data but it will not launch the program. I click on it, and it blinks at me, but does nothing. I can immediately click on it again with the same result.

  8. #28
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    If I try to launch it in the window I get:

    w5uc@SHOP:/home/linrad$ linrad
    svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.
    w5uc@SHOP:/home/linrad$

  9. #29
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Don't give up yet. I'm not sure what this means: I think that linrad itself is fine, but taht there's some issue with the permissions on either svgalib or whatever it connects to (I know nothing about radio!).

    I'd try the mailing list: you've come a long way, so it's worth persevering:

    send an email to:

    [email protected]

    with the subject

    subscribe

    and you should get an email back telling you that you've subscibed successfully. Read a few of the emails and then post away!

    Good luck with this one -- it's a very tricky thing for a newbie to start with, but should be worthwhile in the end.

  10. #30
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    37
    Thanks fingers99. Yes, I think I have learned a lot with your generous help. I will get into that group and see what happens.

    Regards,
    Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Help running application please
    By sav.singh in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2006, 09:52 AM
  2. Error while trying to run any application
    By MethodOne in forum Klik
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-21-2006, 03:04 PM
  3. How to run an application at bootup??
    By vijirin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 07:04 AM
  4. How do you remove an application?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 10:45 AM
  5. Application autorun
    By sparks40 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 01:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-3200AA 260-Pin RAM M471A1G44BB0-CWE Module

$29.25



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport picture

50x RAM Box Tray DDR2 DDR3 DDR4 DDR5 ESD DIMM Memory Shipping Storage Transport

$9.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Team Group Team Elite DDR3-1600 DIMM 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin Desktop RAM picture

Team Group Team Elite DDR3-1600 DIMM 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin Desktop RAM

$35.00