Why don't you tell people what make and model modem you actually bought rather than where you bought it from? That's the real information they need to give you useful feedback.
Okay. I bought an internal PCI modem from newegg.com that was listed as having Linux compatibility. It came with a cd that had drivers and stuff on it. The instructions on the cd were to run AUTORUN.EXE in Linux...But I didn't do that becaue my WINE was all wierd. Instead, I went /cdrom/DRIVERS/Linux and found the driver as a source. I then converted it to .deb and it somehow became compiled in the process. But now, it still says "the modem is busy" when I try to dial in.
Why don't you tell people what make and model modem you actually bought rather than where you bought it from? That's the real information they need to give you useful feedback.
Oh, sorry. The driver I downloaded said it was for all SmartLink chipsets, regardless of make or model. On box it says Hummingbird Fax/Modem 56k/V.92...And everything on the cd says SmartLink. For some reason, it's not listed on the site anymore. I'll run scanmodem or something and get the chipsets. I'm pretty sure I downloaded the right driver...I mean...I compiled the driver fom the cd that came with the modem as well...So I'm wondering why it's not working.
Kuhman, just out of curiosity, do you run a winmodem? Because I seem to remember a lot of posts with your name on it when I was trying to get a USR to work a while ago.
Not with Linux I don't. I run a DSL modem and router here. I have an old PCI modem that I could use if needed, but it's not a Winmodem, I made sure when I got it years ago that it was an honest to goodness "real" modem (Actiontech). There is a Winmodem on my notebook, but I've never even bothered to try to use Linux with that modem. So I'm not likely to be any help with your problem, just thought your best chance of getting help was if the people who do use dial-up modems knew what you were working with.Originally Posted by Kowood
I pulled the source from the cd and followed the intructions on the readme file...it lands me with some sort of gcc error.I went through and edited the makefile and everything like it said...Code:$ make gcc kernel-ver.o -o kernel-ver /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/../../../crt1.o: file not recognized: File truncated collect2: ld returned 1 exit status make: *** [kernel-ver] Error 1

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74
Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$519.99
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
Lot of 3 1TB Samsung WD Toshiba SATA 2.5" HDD Hard Drives - Wiped and Tested
$79.99