Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Knoppix 3.8.1 won't boot

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11

    Knoppix 3.8.1 won't boot

    I am new to Linux, so I might ask some newbie questions, please bear with me.

    I am running XP Pro with Virtual PC 2004. I had an old version of Knoppix: 3.7, which I used and ran Knoppix fine, even with internet. But now I am trying v3.8.1 and at this point in the bootup:

    Netywork device eht0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.

    it freezes. Does anyone know what is the problem?

    v3.7 works, but 3.8.1 doesn't....

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11
    Anyone?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    111
    I'm quite sure MS virtual PC has not been tested with linux live CDs. I have tried VPC 2004 and it often does not boot the knoppix cd, whereas some live cd's do work. I'm sure M$ hasn't gone to any lengths to test that kind of non-windows OS.

    Have you tried the NODMA cheatcode?

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by redss
    Have you tried the NODMA cheatcode?
    That seems an unlikely "fix"; according to things I've seen James write, DMA is not enabled by default any more in 3.8.1, so nodma is unlikely do do much.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11
    The strange thing is that v3.7 works fine (though no sound and bad graphics).

    Apparently there were some changes in 3.8.1. So there is no way to get it to work on Microsfot VPC? How about VMware?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    57
    To be honest don't remember exactly if i tryed 3.8.1 with VMware, I think i did and it worked fine,though have some issues booting to it normally on my laptop.
    never got any problems with 3.7 on VMware sound, graphics works fine.
    Also can you boot normally from this cd, maybe its just not fully downloaded.

    Nikolay

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    11
    Well, in Vmware, Knoppix 3.8.1 works great, even better than Fedora Core.

    Now I just need to figure out how to get it to save the settings onto a virtual drive. When I try to, it says that it can't and nothing more.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3

    Re: Knoppix 3.8.1 won't boot

    Quote Originally Posted by Annorax
    ...But now I am trying v3.8.1 and at this point in the bootup:

    Netywork device eht0 detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.

    it freezes. Does anyone know what is the problem?

    v3.7 works, but 3.8.1 doesn't....
    I have the same problem. To disable dhcp you have to give "nodhcp" parameter to kernel at boot. System works fine, but you will not have network access at all It also hangs, when user would like to set IP address manually using ifconfig command.

    Example:
    Code:
    boot: knoppix nodhcp
    or another example, which I always use in Virtual PC:
    Code:
    boot: fb800x600 nodhcp 2

Similar Threads

  1. Boot loader problem with XP Pro/Knoppix Dual boot
    By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
  2. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. installed kanotix to hdb, lost boot option to boot knoppix
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
  4. using knoppix on multi-boot CD's (boot scriptor)
    By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
  5. Remastering Error: Can't Find Boot Image KNOPPIX/boot.img
    By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar  6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5

HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860

$129.99