-
Junior Member
registered user
Smail can no longer write mail files - what gives?
I've recently upgraded from Knoppix 3.7, I believe, to 3.8.1.
Everything went along smoothly (Great work
), until I tried sending/receiving mail.
My popd apparently no longer works properly, and smail no longer can write mail files.
What I mean is this: I write an e-mail, as root, to root...
Code:
# mail root
Subject: Test
This is a test e-mail.
Cc:
And I immediately get this message:
Code:
# smail: 04/24/2005 17:50:11: [12545] [m1DPozT-0000YKC] mail moved to /var/mail/error/1DPozT-0000YKC
So I did this (I've changed the @ sign so that phpBB doesn't turn it into an e-mail link, you know, spam and all):
Code:
cat /var/mail/error/1DPozT-0000YKC
<truncated>
To: postmaster [-AT-] keilaron.kicks-ass.org
Subject: mail failed, sending to postmaster
Summary: message returned due to delivery errors.
Reference: <m1DPozT-0000YHC [-AT-] keilaron.kicks-ass.org>
|------------------------- Message log follows: -------------------------|
Xfail: <keilaron> parent: <root> reason: (ERR133) transport local: failed to open output file: Permission denied
|------------------------- Failed addresses follow: ---------------------|
address: keilaron ... failed: transport local: failed to open output file: Permission denied
|------------------------- Message text follows: ------------------------|
<truncated>
What I don't understand is that smail is running as root and shouldn't be getting these errors. (The user "keilaron" here is the final recipient due to aliases.)
Root has no problems touching new files into where the mail file should go... so what's the problem?
Similar Threads
-
By unclecameron in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2009, 01:45 AM
-
By tsfftf in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-07-2008, 03:56 PM
-
By probono in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 9
Last Post: 12-23-2004, 09:21 PM
-
By margaritaville in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 04:09 AM
-
By willywalker in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX
$14.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99