I need to get RPC working as part of a project. The RPC itself is not that bad and quite fun, but I can't get it to work in knoppix. I hope I'm missing something simple and obvious, but I've tried different versions of knoppix and get the same "Connection Refused" error. I first used the examples from the URL below to test the whole RPC thing:
http://www2.cs.uregina.ca/~hamilton/...430/notes/rpc/
These work quite nicely (and across network, contrary to CORBA examples which dump files all over the local host). I've had them working in Mandrake, Red Hat and gentoo - All of these distors were clean installs with no configuration done yet, so whatever settings made RPC work in them I'd like to set in Knoppix. I have not studied RPC extensively and don't know an extremely great deal of the sometimes "hidden" scripts and settings in Linux. I would like to get it working and don't really care how for the next 4 weeks. After that I'll dfinitely look at RPC more with more time.
One last thing, "why not then use Mandrake or...", Because Knoppix comes with so many apps and already working utilities (acroread, a newish qt [sorry, I did in fact have to install qt for a good 2 hours], xmms, proper USB support and general prettiness) that I'd much rather do a knoppix install of 10 minutes and get so much more than a (insert distor name here) install of some hours (taking qt into consideration).
(Some other day I'll again brave the 8000 package list of Debian itself)
Can anyone tell me how to quickly get RPC working in knoppix? (I get the same error when doing rpc.mountd)
---------------------------
PS
Nevermind, wasn't all that big a problem at all. Got a few sites that nicely said what to do...indirectly, though.
From:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...h-tune.en.html
"If you have problems with remote access in a recent Debian system, comment out "ALL: PARANOID" in /etc/hosts.deny if it exists."
And then, from:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2.../msg00082.html
"So, I just doctored that file so that 'PORTMAP=yes' is set near the
beginning, instead of 'PORTMAP=no' and then even though it doesn't find any
remote file systems to mount, it'll start portmap anyway."
In other words, start portmap service.
RPC will then work without any issues.

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99