Hi!
I'm thinking to buy a laptop and I would like that know different opinions about what's the best choice
if I want to use to do calculations and graphics representation where Knoppix works fine!
Thanks!
Javier
Hi!
I'm thinking to buy a laptop and I would like that know different opinions about what's the best choice
if I want to use to do calculations and graphics representation where Knoppix works fine!
Thanks!
Javier
the thinkpads from IBM tend to work well, and ACER has travelmates andaspires that also work OK.
Actually only things i find working less than optimum (any make) are built in modems and wireless. otherwise things tend to be fairly straightforward.
I would argue that even notebooks with built-in wireless are perfect candidates for installing Knoppix Linux. I don't use a modem anymore, so I can't tell you about the built-in modem compatibility of Knoppix with laptops, but built-in wireless is pretty well supported in my experience. Here's an idea for you:Originally Posted by OErjan
When you're going to check out the laptops, bring a copy of knoppix and a thumb drive with you.
When you get there, ask the salesperson if you can use their Internet connection to download the manufacturer's driver files for the built-in wireless card. Once you download the driver file (likely a self-extracting EXE) you will have to extract and save the *.inf and *.sys files for that card to your thumb drive. Boot Knoppix on their demo model and use ndiswrapper to grab the driver files off the thumb drive and get the card up and running. If it doesn't work, check to make sure the wireless card's switch is flipped "on," search Google for the correct file to use with that card and ndiswrapper. If you don't find anything, try another model.
Having built-in wireless on my laptop has been the best thing about owning it. Linux is a powerful OS, and it's really fun to play with, but without an internet connection, it's a lot less fun.
Bring a LiveCD with you... if it doesn't work with a few cheat codes, move to the next.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 4.7GHz Socket AM5 CPU 5600MHz 96MB L3
$355.00
Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99
Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00
AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99
Microsoft Surface Go 2 Laptop Core i5 1135G7 2.4GHz 8GB 128GB SSD
$179.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99
DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99
HP Pavilion Laptop Computer 15.6 8-Core Intel i3 8GB RAM 628GB Storage, Open Box
$299.00