Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Status on overlay filesystem?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1

    Status on overlay filesystem?

    Just curius what the current status on that is, I haven't used knoppix in quite long, but I figure the knoppix comunity would know.

    The reason I ask is I built a livecd a few ages ago and built a highly experimental overlay system, if there arn't any good current ones I'd consider building a new one, I think I can do so relativly simple. And even support stuff like "overlaying" files that are already there (for example if you want to upgrade to a newer version of a piece of software, the old version would be on cd, if the newer overlay is mounted it'd use that to "overwrite" the old system).

    Is there any interest for this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Status on overlay filesystem?

    Quote Originally Posted by neuron
    Is there any interest for this?
    Yes. It has been done officially in Knoppix 3.8.1, the lastest release. The Knoppix developers included UnionFS and have overlayed (via unionfs) a portion of the ramdisk on top of the / of the Knoppix CD, thus we now have "write access" what was once a read-only CDR. Search the forums for unionfs to learn more about unionfs in knoppix and/or use google to read up on unionfs.

    I hope this helps.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. how to create a persistent overlay in knoppix 6.2
    By drtkm in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 03:43 AM
  2. Can't mount partitions on HD with Dynamic Drive Overlay
    By jim1944 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2007, 04:34 AM
  3. How do I overlay a file before XFree86 reads it?
    By davea0511 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-15-2005, 06:52 AM
  4. overlay filesystem
    By redss in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2005, 11:42 PM
  5. translucency=overlay filesystem: hottest tech so far
    By probono in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 04:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$345.00



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$245.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



Vintage California Computer Systems Boards for S-100 Terminiator Cards picture

Vintage California Computer Systems Boards for S-100 Terminiator Cards

$145.00



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00