Quote Originally Posted by simplyskate
Um... im not quite sure what you meant, but, my modem is connected through ethernet to my wireless router, and the NIC is connected to a usb port and that is wireless too. I cannot connect my modem directly into my computer using ethernet because unfortunatly my computer does not have an ethernet port.
Maybe I didn't make my question clear enough, but you answered it. You are trying to connect to the router wirelessly. Worse than that, you are trying to do it with a USB interface. There are people who have managed to get both USB and wireless connections to work under Knoppix, but many wireless adapter people keep their technology secret and do not release Linux drivers (fewer if any release the source code or protocol to talk to the devices), so getting a wireless adapter to work with Knoppix is a problem. Of the three wireless cards I have, I've only managet to get one to work with Knoppix and that was only with the new version 3.8.1. The other two are not recognized by Knoppix at all. And the card that is recognized doesn't work with all applications. And that's with a PCMCIA card, not a USB interface to add another level of problems.

You state that your computer doesn't have an ethernet port. If you have a free slot I would certainly consider adding an inexpensive ethernet card. Here in the US they are often available at $5 or less, sometimes free after rebate. I would expect the prices to be similar in the UK. That and a couple of pounds or euros for an ethernet cable should be all you need to get you up and working.