Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: GCC Problem

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    GCC Problem

    Okay, I was trying to compile a modem driver from source, and I got this error message once I got to the make command:
    Code:
    $ make
    gcc   kernel-ver.o   -o kernel-ver
    /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.3/../../../crt1.o: file not recognized: File truncated
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make: *** [kernel-ver] Error 1
    I updated my GCC to the latest edition, and it still gives me that message. I did a file search and crt1.o doesn't exist. I looked through the makefile and there's nothing about crt1.o. What's wrong here?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    My guess is that you need the kernel headers.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Where do I get the kernel headers? As a Debian package? And would it work better with 2.4.26 kernel or the 2.6.6?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    The headers should match the kernel you're running. You can download them as a deb. Use Synaptic -- it's probably the easiest way.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I can't use Synaptic or apt-get....If I could...I wouldn't be compiling a modem driver, now would I? Anyway...I found a buttload of debs at this site http://linux.org.by/debian/pool/ mai...ge-2.6.6-i386/ and downloaded some of them, but had no idea what i was doing and ended up finding myself in a long string of dependecies. Which ones do I need and which do I install first?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Ah, so that's what you're doing.

    just do

    uname -a

    output on my box is:

    Linux niglo 2.6.7 #2 SMP Wed Jul 28 04:25:36 CEST 2004 i686 GNU/Linux

    but the 2.6.7 (or whatever) is the kernel you want the headers to match. You want the headers. For example (they match architectures) kernel-headers-2.4.27-2-686 if you were running 2.4.27 on a Pentium Pro/Celeron/Pentium II/Pentium III/Pentium 4.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I'm running 2.6.6 on an i686. I already knew that. But all those files are for 386 or 686...And I can't figure out which one to download.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    686 is i686. The 386 will (probably) do if you've no better choice.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    Did you look at the website? They're all 686 or 386...I know about architectures...But I have no idea which file to download first...That's the problem I'm having

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    kernel-headers-2.6.6-1-686-smp_2.6.6-1_i386.deb

    should do it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$75.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16

Dell Precision 7670 i7-12850HX 2.1GHz 32GB 1TB NVMe 16" A1000 Win 11 Pro: Good

$649.00



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00