-
APT upgrade and double entry on menu
I am using the 3.8.1 HD install, after I completed the APT upgrade, I found there are lot of applications have double entry on the K menu, also the boot up time is doubled with many new messages, it seems that there are many upgrades I don't need on my system or can't access the resources, how do I safety remove those services that I don't need ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Are we talking services here, or menu entries?
If menu entries, then the best tool to use is menu editor
Kmenu>Settings>menu editor.
If we're taking services, you can either use SysV-init editor to stop them starting
Kmenu>System>SysV-init editor
or use apt-get remove (nameOfPachkage) to remove them. It's probably easier, however, to use Synaptic to do this.
su to root and do
apt-get update && apt-get install synaptic && exit
Synaptic is pretty self explanatory -- it's a GUI front end to (most of) apt-get.
Just be a bit careful of what you remove!
-
Thanks for the info. I got double entries on the menu just after first time HD install and I removed them, but after the APT upgrade the same thing happens again, seems like a bug.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Double Entries On Services
I have noticed double entries in the menu before and removed them.
But, since day one it seems I also get double entries on a lot of services upon boot up: pci, usb, etc.
I always just assumed it was a fail safe proceedure. 
I'll have to look at this more carefully.
sakiZ
Similar Threads
-
By gnukish in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-21-2005, 05:08 AM
-
By lotech in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-19-2005, 12:52 AM
-
By andig in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 05:39 PM
-
By Dallas Eschenauer in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-06-2003, 09:19 PM
-
By spazzman in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$475.21

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$16.99

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1 TB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$23.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

NEW 2026 SGIN 18.5" Laptop Windows 11 PRO Intel N5095 16GB DDR4 1024GB SSD
$444.99

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB,Internal,7200 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive
$29.90